Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clarification Sort

cskip

I have just been looking at the regulations for the speed championship and noticed that in the previous regs (2009, I can't find 2010's regs so if this has been dropped ignore me!) Class 1,2 and 3 has the following statement:

"8. Caterham Sevens which fully comply with the current technical specifications for the '2009 Caterham Graduates Championship' - 'Caterham Meda Graduates Class' specification cars only."

In the Graduates Championship regulations changes for 2011 I note that:

"The Classics "Rakeway" floating half-shaft design - which was previously optional - will be mandatory"

Will this be a mandatory requirement for all Live Axle car participating the 2011 Speed Championship 🤔

Also according to the Graduates Regulations any car pre-1995 is not valid. Given I have a 1994 car does that mean I can only compete in Class 4,5 and 6. As these classes do not have the Graduates clause 🤔

I hope I haven't opened a can of worms. If I have apologies.

Skip.

West Hants Luddite

• Area Representative

Clive,

the regulations also say for class one :-

The reference maximum power limit for this class is 125bhp.

(but judging by your Curborough speed trap speed, I guess you have a little more *wink*)

and for class two/three:-

1. Single cam engines of 1601cc and greater. Power for these engines is limited to 160bhp.

So unless your car is making more than 160bhp, then its class two or three for you.

Hi Clive, you competed in Class 3 last year, have you changed your 7 ?

or unsure which class you should have been running in ?

If you want to give some details of what your 7 is i'm sure that the advice will be more appropriate 😬

From memory arn't you running a X/Flow ?

Q469 WET, 1990 Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. Class 2 150 BHP Zetec. With a Dual Drive :-)CaterBram on Facebook

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 29 Dec 2010 20:38:08

Skip,

For my 2p:

My understanding of the rules is that the L7SC Classes are generally regulated by power and engine type, not by rolling chassis (except for dampers). So if i've read this right, cars without Rakeway Ital live axle'd cars will remain in their relevant Class.

I believe the requirement to have this conversion by the Grad club was to minimise the number of half shaft failures - the conversion has certainly proved to be a success.....

Cheers

A

CBJ,

The Graduate 'Classic' cars (Ital live axle) encountered quite a number of half shaft failures - to counter this they commisioned an engineering firm (Rakeway) to engineer a solution. This consisted of a new floating halfshalf and double bearing'd hub assembly that bolts straight onto the Ital axle with the only modification being to the back plate - where the center hole needs to be filed or reamed by a couple of millimeters.

A

Yup found it on http://www.rakeway.com/

Interested as i've some float in one of my halfshaft's which will need sorting, especially now i've gone zetec. I've sent off for a price and availability.

-----Q469 WET, 1990 Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. Class 2 150 BHP Zetec. With a Dual Drive :-)CaterBram on Facebook

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 29 Dec 2010 21:03:01

My question was really to seek clarification. My 7 will be the same, except for tyres (1B) and a bullet cam, as last year. E.g. Ital Axle, Xflow. But at looking the regulations again, I noticed the Graduates spec statement in Class 3 definition.

Will this statement be in the 2011 regs?

Given that my car will not meet the Graduate regs, should I be in class 4? For a starter my car is older than the regs for Graduates allow e.g. my car is 1994 and the grad regs run from 1995 onwards. To add to that do I need to have the Axle mod?

Skip.

West Hants Luddite

• Area Representative

Clive,

don't worry about the reference to "Graduate" spec cars.

The only thing you need to consider is the nominal power output.

I don't recall any discussion at the tech forum that would affect you.

Clive,

unless you've drastically increased the power on the X/Flow above 160 BHP, you'll be in class 3 same as last year if on list 1B tyres or Class 2 with List 1A tyres.

Thought about running in Class 3 myself but did not want to overstress the Ital axle with the grippier tyres, so i'm staying in Class 2 this coming season but with a bit more power & torque from the Zetec..

The ital axle half shaft upgrade will be something i'm considering for the future as i'm sure the half shaft's at some point will need changing.

-----Q469 WET, 1990 Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. Class 2 150 BHP Zetec. With a Dual Drive :-)CaterBram on Facebook