Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmet (sorry if this has been overdone)

Alias

Rob - i think you are correct a decent motorbike helmet will do, I think the overriding thing for trackdays is to make sure your helmet fits correctly and is in decent order, rather than conform to any specific regulation.

See you there, and my missus will be there with her bike lid on whihc was ok for the ladies day

rob *wink*

No No NO!!!!!

The fclub will not accecpt a 'decent' motorcyle lid unless it is BSI Type A minimum - the new EC22-05 is not accepted by the club for CLUB TRACKDAYS or otherwise.

I have discussed this with several members of the clubs managment and not got very far. An EC22-05 is accepted by most if not all of the other trackday organisers.

Please do not buy helmets with this EC22-05 standard unless the Club is prepared to change the regulations. (I'll be really pissed off if they do as I have now had to sell the two Shoei Lids I bought last year for £800 at the bagain price of £100 each!! *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*)

If you require any additional help with this drop me a line off list and I will help as much as possible.

Regards,

Martin

P.S I am the person mentioned in the Low flying article last month with regards to Helmets, That were accecptable in 2001 season - albeit the days were not organised by the club itself *mad* *mad* *mad*

In all the trackdays I have ever done (including l7 ones), never has any one looked at the specification or even standard of the helmet.

When I read the artcile in LF I thought it was a mistake that they said it wasn't OK for the club days ☹️ obviously not, so ignore my previous message.

I await my helmet inspection at Llandow

rob

Robmar

Drop me a line off list and I'll discuss it at length with you. I have fought and lost the battle with the Club on this one. Perhaps a little more support would help with a more informed decision for next years rules & Regs.

regards,

Martin

So, just to ensure I am going to get this right...

Helmet which is BS6658-85 A is ok for a L7 club trackday (despite not being fire resistant)

Helmet which is BS6658-85 A/FR or Snell 2000 or SFI 31.2 is ok for L7 club track days and competitive events.

Any other helmet will not suffice on a L7 club event.

Please could this confirmed.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. it would be really helpful if we could have a grid in the Low flying outlining the certifications for helmets and where they can be used.

If you've got a std sized head there are quite a few Snell 2000 approved hats that aren't *that* expensive.

Bell and Simpson (amongst others) both do them and DT/GPRW can supply.

If you have a bigger bonce/wallet you could do a lot worse than try Stand21. They are pricey but the quality is exceptional.

I think you can get SA2000 ones from around the 200+VAT mark which is about the price good bike helmets start (that said I used a 150 (incl) Shoei for a few years and it did the job a treat). and you can use them anywhere (in a car).

Basic rule - spend as much as you can afford.