Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Converting VX1600 to Fuel Injection?

SimonRHC

Converting VX1600 to Fuel Injection?

I have a 1999, 1600VX Scholarship Classic which I use every day for commuting and at weekends for swanning about.

It is my only car.

A change of job requires more mileage (already 12k / year).

I like the car and don’t really want to change it.

Much as I like the sound and response of Weber’s I don’t like the rate which they drink fuel.

I was wondering if any of you have an opinion on how easy / possible it would be to retro fit a standard Vauxhall fuel injection, how much it would cost (parts / labor), what MPG, what BHP and is it worth the hassle of routing around in a scrap yard?

*confused*

Possibly the simplest option, as has been inferred elsewhere, would be to get a complete 1.6 injected engine and plonk it in the car. If you were to get one out of a 1.6 Nova GTE then this would be the same basic engine (I think the 1.6 16v block is different) so ancillaries, engine mounts, etc. would all swap over. You *might* even find the exhaust manifold is usable from your car on the new engine.

You'd still need the loom and ECU but seeing as complete Nova GTE can be had for £1,000 (less what you get back from selling parts like seats, dash, wheels, etc.) then you'd get the engine, loom, fuel pumps, etc., etc.

Just a thought anyway.

Last time I checked, Scholar engines had a supply of 1600 16V VX units complete with MBE, TB's and dry sump kit for 1300+VAT. They are Formula Vauxhall Junior spec ie 145 bhp but an absolute bargain considering what you get for the money.

John

A bargain indeed !! I just wish somebody had told me about those engine before I went down the expensive route of building my own !!

There'd still be odds and sods to sort out (exhaust, engine mounts, etc.) but if the engine is as complete as that then it would be ideal. SBD do exhausts off the shelf (and engine mounts) so it would be an easy conversion to do.