Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New 2003 onwards nose cone - Carp!

Mavic82

Car in the paint shop for a new paint job and thought I would have a new nose cone. Although I have the earlier front suspension I thought it would be good to have the later SVA friendly nose cone. This gives protection to the lower wishbone mount.

New nose was carp!!! Firstly it was thinner and very floppy cos it no longer has a lip round the edges. OK don't like it so far but it was lighter....

Offered it up to the car..... well I guess it fitted at the upper dzus fastners!!! The nose was over trimmed, the edges were not straight or true and had a finger sized gap down the front of the chassis. All in all it looked very cheap and not up to the older noses and fit..... it was no where near. Took it back and will re-use my old one and just live with the front lower wishbone mount in fresh air.

Very disapointed. Are they all like this or did I get a bad one.

Guy

Edited by - mavic82 on 22 Dec 2010 21:26:55

• Area Representative

I bought a new nose cone 12 months ago and was most disappointed with it.

It was a poor fit at the sides. I questioned whether it was for the right car and was advised that it was all that was currently available, as it seems Caterham were sacking their current supplier and moving to a new one. However, all the stock from the new supplier had been rejected for quality issues!! They must have been bad. I bit the bullet and used it, but I had to grind the the edges a great deal to get the upper dzus fasteners to fit. The bottom was cut out (very badly - the 2 sides were different) for the higher wishbones on an older chassis (my car is 1999/2000). this meant I had to cut holes in it to fit the bottom dzus fasteners also. The sides of the nosecone are out of line with the body and I have large holes in the side where the older wishbone would fit.

If yours is lightweight, I think you have one from the "new" supplier.

I decided to have my old nose cone refurbished and repainted and it is much better and I'll be keeping the new one as a spare.

Still disappointed however as I wanted the benefit of a self coloured nose rather than a painted one as they don't show the chips as much.

I did think I might buy yet another new one at some time but clearly not yet as they seem to be no better.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 22 Dec 2010 21:28:37

Sounds like they need to go back to Dartford Composites.

It may be a sweeping statement but I think they are taking to much cost out of the car and taking a load of quality with it. The quality that differentiated Caterham from others. First a welded chassis and now very poor GRP. *thumbdown*