Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best FIA race harness?

skydragon

The 6-point drivers harness in my car has had it's day, as it's started to fray a bit (as pointed out by a scutineer at my last competition. Where the shoulder straps have been rubbing against the inside edge of the tillet seat holes).

The harness was never going to pass cleanly through the tillet seat holes with my seating position and shoulder height... so it now doesn't have any holes... as it's been cut down, with the tillet's 'headrest' section removed, to be a high-backed seat (all the polishers out there, stop whincing at the thought of your shiney tillets being butchered with a dremel *rolleyes* 😬)

Question is what FIA harness to replace it with? fwiw I'm not using HANS.

The Willans Silverstone LDT6 6-point harness looks a good candidate

Views/advice?

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, with DVA K05 and a few other goodies...

website here

• Area Representative

I have Sabelt in my 7 with normal "metal tab and bolt" fittings. If you tell them you want for a Caterham 7 they will make to correct dimensions.

Webbing is not as thick as Willans, but this makes them far easier to adjust and they are considerably less expensive. They are however fitted with adjusters on lap belt which pull down to tighten rather than up. I manage this OK by adjusting and then clipping together with lots of breathing in. They may however be able to revers this adjustment for you if you ask.

I found them v. helpful.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks for feedback

They are however fitted with adjusters on lap belt which pull down to tighten rather than up
That was why I originally looked at willans harness, as I understand the lap strap adlusters work by pulling inwards towards the central fastner hub

another vote for willans

had to replace my willans harnesses this year as going out of date. had very specific requirements so went to the factory for a fitting: knocked up 2 different lap belts to try within minutes and had the finished custom belts to me in under a week *thumbup*

very helpful and knowledgable

jerry

Still cant see why you dont just fit the caterham ones

Because i would like a harness with pull up adjusters on the lap straps rather than pull down adjusters as per the CC supplied ones.

When i'm sat in the car (tillet seat) it is vitually impossible to tighten the lap strap firmly, as pulling down on the adjuster is extremely difficult.

Ok for road use, but difficult to use for competition use, where ideally you want to tighten/slacken fully between runs.

As Richard says above

I manage this OK by adjusting and then clipping together with lots of breathing in
that's what i have to do at the moment and exactly what i want to avoid.

Order placed with Willans *smile*

Edited by - skydragon on 24 Dec 2010 16:46:55

• 3 weeks later...

In the end i didn't order a Willans harness (although I'm sure there products are very good).

I went for a 6 point Schroth Caterham hybrid II slipstop harness. ( see here. As far as i understand this harness was designed/developed in uk for Caterham racing use.

Having just fitted it to the car, i can strongly recommend it. The quality is amazing, but more importantly the lap stap pull-up T-bar adjusters make tightening the lap staps tightly very easy and the adjusters are fully accessible even with a tillet seat. The crutch stap arrangement is very easy to fasten. Sitting in the car i can get the harness significantly tighter than i could do with the CC (luke) harness, although to be fair this is a more expensive product.

You can use this harness with or without a HANS device.

The lap straps are 2" and the 3" shoulder straps have a small grooved rubber pad on them which works with Schroth's HANS device's slipstop system.