Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Surge Part 2

lee.spencer

I spoke to Redline regarding an oil surge problem I am expariencing and my 1558cc Lotus Twin cam engined Caterham is booked in to have a plate welded on top of the central baffle that apparently already exists in the sump. After a little drive yesterday it seems the oil pressure drops to zero alot more now than before, roundabouts taken even moderately fast provoke it. My oil level is in the lower half of the dip stick allowance. Should I keep it filled to the top of the disticks measure? Will I damage anything if I overfill the engine with oil? Could the central baffle that exists already in my sump have worked loose?

Ta!

It is always worth checking the sensor and gauge to make sure you are acting on the basis of good diagnostic information.

Ignore my previous comment on oil temperature. You are reporting a change in oil pressure behaviour with no obvious change in what you are doing. This isn't surge anymore. There is a fault either with the oil system/bearings or with the sensor and gauge.

Whoever looks at it should get the sump off ASAP as a starter. Do not drive it in the meantime.