Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

First ever non-start!

James_Russell

had to use the trailer this weekend to rescue a friend's car- and in order to do so, had to get the caterham off the trailer.

The 7 has been sat there unused for a month, with the FIA switch removed. I put the FIA switch and the ignition key in and noticed the fuel pump didn't chatter away happily like it usually does, it sounded decidedly lethargic. When I press the starter button it all simply falls silent. Not a sound from the starter motor at all.

Multimeter says the battery has 13.6v which is lovely. I haven't managed to get a reading across the terminals with the car 'attempting' to start as there is only one of me!

I do all my own mechanical work but lectrics not a strong point- any tips?

Q41 ACF Classic #98

My Race Videos Here!

Pop the headlights on, attempt to start car, if headlights and dash lights go out as you try and crank, then the battery is prob flat or faulty.

If headlights stay bright it may be a starter problem.

sounds like a flat battery to me tho.

Edited by - blade_runner on 12 Dec 2010 16:15:52

Update: started the car... but only just- it didn't turn over as happily as it usually does despite being connected to a two-litre diesel mondeo.

The battery shows 13.6v (does this mean its ok?). It is only two years old so I'd hope it hasn't failed just yet (banner).

I'm going to investigate Mick's suggestions as it seems to me that there must be some impedance somewhere which is restricting the cranking current...

Q41 ACF Classic #98

My Race Videos Here!

Don't most diesel's work on a different voltage to petrols?

Hope you've not damaged either battery when you connected them?

(had fun and games with a subarau and a diesel golf up a french mountain when this issue cropped up............)

Lurking in the background since 2001