Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Live Axle replacement

Shister66

Stephen,

I have the VX1600 with an original axle setup. I have a whine on the axle which I have lived with for a few years now. Tried to have it fixed a few years ago but struggled to find the correct ratio (3.9:1 from memory). What ratio are you going for? Is a replacement 3.9:1 more readily available now?

Regards,

Paul Kennedy

The difference is that most of the power goes down, without risk of a spinning an inside wheel when cornering hard. It give confidence that the car is going to do what you ask it to do.

I suppose in really extreme circumstance such as tight uphill cornering at speed, when the weight is transferred from the front to the rear, you might experience understeer but it's not something I've suffered from.

Zetec,

A properly built Ital axle with a Jigsaw CW&P and a quaife LSD will easily take 150lbs of torque and 200bhp. I know I've built them.

If anyone is interested I have put a document together about Ital and English axles, nothing professional but just the knowledge I have gain by building and breaking them.

Cheers

Chris