Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ACB10 13" vs 15"

Dave M

Does anyone have back to back experience with ACB10 13" and ACB10 15" with wheels of similar weight (4.5kg 3 piece). I am currently running 13" and am considering changing up size and would like some feedback regarding any handling differecnes. I am only concerned about track performance.

Dave

PRB87

Yes, but how do the 13" improve handling if the tyres are the same circumference, tread and compound? I may need to change because of calliper clearance and availablity of 13" over here. ☹️

Edited by - Dave M on 16 Sep 2002 00:09:18

a 13" tyre with the same circumferance as a similar 15" tyre is much higher profile so it has more compliance in it. So it will definitely have very different characteristics.

I can't explain exactly how/why the differences are but I'd start by considering the amount the contact patch can twist compared to the axis of the tyre - it will be larger on 13s...

ah - i seem to have crossed the limit of my knowledge here.... *wink* *confused*

HOOPY R706KGU See you at Cadwell *thumbup* *smile*

Ive have never really understood the real world differences between running 15" and 13" wheels/tyres. I currently run the standard 13" split rims with ACB10s on my SLR, however on my previous VVC Seven I ran 15" A032s, and for my style of driving, I think I prefered the way in which the 15" setup worked for me. (This probably says a lot about my driving style). Certainly in track performance terms I cannot drive my SLR much quicker on a track than I could my VVC with 15" wheels and A032s.

Hmmm, might be a case of lashing out on the 15" 3 piece rims and trying them with the ACB10s. I already have plenty of data on the 13" so a real comparison could be made. FWIW I run 2 way adjustable Koni shocks and have a range of springs to choose from with adjustable anti-roll bars front and back. I would rather tune the cars handling using these "controlable" devices than rely on tyre sidewalls for compliance. The 15" wheels are proposed for a new project which will be lighter than my existing se7en, so control of the damping will be more important. I don't have any technicial expertise to back these comments up, just my thoughts. *smile*

Dave

PRB87

Urk!

Suspension is made up of both the tyre characteristics and the spring/damper/rollbar setup. You cannot compensate for one with the other.

The tyre takes out higher frequency vibrations while the suspension takes out the lower frequency ones. You need to build a matched system. A stiffer tyre is more suited to a heavier car. Running a low profile (stiff) tyre on a Seven can leave a range of frequencies undamped leading to a certain suddenness of breakaway. If you don't get this, then I guess the tyres are working OK. YMMV

I met a chap at Cadwell who was running 15" slicks on his VX race car.

The grip was good and he was fast but he said the 15" tyres were much more expensive than 13" ones. I guess the same would be true of ACB10's.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Peter,

Why does the R300 work so well then? It runs on 15 inch 195 / 45 profile CR500's. I've just fitted a set of these to my car and so far, on the road, they seems pretty good. Less "squidge" on turn in compared to the Bridgstone S-03's (and much more grip - feels like 032R levels of grip although hard to tell on the road)) and they don't tramline as much as ACB's.

I wonder if bigger wheels have got a bad press because it usually mean't using crap tyres.

Alex