Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700 Zetec?

AMMO

I'm bored. I need a project to occupy my mind.

Anyone fancy a 1700 Zetec for sprinting? Was up at 3 am head scratching / doing calculations and reckon that a half decent 1700 cc Zetec could be knocked together for not too much money. Would need a billet de-stroked crank. Rods (I already have a box of Carrillos) and pistons. I have some oversize valves and am in the process of sorting out some cams. Should be able to break 200 bhp + easy peasy. Based on the cheap 1800 engine bored to 82 with an 80 mm stroke crank. Will rev to 9000 rpm.

The brothers Perry, are you out there? Move on up into the last decade of the last century and get a Zetec. You are the ideal candidates as you obviously love doing weird stuff.

Anyone else? Need to order 3 cranks and 3 sets of pistons to get the price down. Already have 3 sets of Carrillos which would do the job. Could be a bit of a laugh. *smile*

AMMO

Heavy but cheap. Wouldn't have liners wiggling around either. Might cure a bit of understeer with some weight on the front wheels. Could be as light as a heavy Crossflow if the right bits were used. Being the underdog with an "un-competetive" engine is always a bit of fun anyway.

AMMO

Sorry Ammo - no dosh at the mo. Will probably upgrade in about two years (But I said that two years ago) Actually I still like my crossflow as at 350 bhp/tonne it is still just about competitive and can still just about hold off all but the best K's.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 11 Sep 2002 12:56:02

Actually I think I must have been talking out of my 🙆🏻. Did some back of an envelope sums. With all the bits at cost and no labour an all steel 1700 Zetec would cost between £6,000.00 and £8,000.00 inc VAT installed, depending on carbs or fuel injection. Incredible how all the bits add up. Not so cheap after all. Forget I ever mentioned it.

Have had some hairy cams made already. Arrived today. I have decided to plonk them into my 1800 road Zetec to see how they perform. Probably before the next dyno session at T&M. Might be a bit too hairy for a road 1800, probably better for a 2 litre. Won't know until I try.

AMMO

Ammo,

You're worse than me!

Sounds like a great idea though, as the 1700Puma Yamaha engine is very expensive to modify as yet. I know the Aldon/John Palmer motor cost a King's ransom to build and develop, and actually is not THAT powerful (albeit over200bhp).

The Zetec is only a few Kgs heavier than the old boat anchor X-Flow, but is light years ahead in terms of reliability and potential. And that's coming from a X-Flow man !

Chris.

There was a guy in our car club with a 1600 Zetec engined Sylva which used 1800 valve sizes. I think he may have used the complete 1800 head with the 1600 bottom end.(but don't quote me!) The head was modified by Dunnel, but the bottom end was pretty much standard apart from uprated bolts etc. I seem to remember that it was a real screamer with great reliability, and easily more powerful than the 180+bhp Pinto engine that he used to have in that car.

Will the 1600 block go out any further to make use of the 1700 class limit.?

Chris

Now you mention it, there was a father and son team locally that were running a 1600 Zetec which was making good horsepower. I liked the idea of a 82 x 80 oversquare engine, but it is just too expensive.

So how about this for plan B. Get a 1600, bore it to 78 mm to give 1682 cc (76 mm stock), retain the stock 88 mm crank and rods which will make it horribly undersquare, stick an 1800 / 2000 head with stock valves, hairy cams and cross your fingers. Cheaper than billet crank and steel rods etc.

I've been told the Hot Rod boys use Zetecs with some very radical hydraulic cams which they rev to 8,500 rpm on standard followers. I've already sourced some nice dual valve springs which will fit under the stock followers.

1600 engines must be dirt cheap as I'm sure nobody wants them. If a rod ends up saying hello to the outside world, just go to the scrappie's and start over. Might be surprised how long it will all stay together.

Yes? No? Forget it?

AMMO

Edited by - Ammo on 11 Sep 2002 18:52:27

The 2litre Zetec (built by Solus) in my mate's Chevron makes 240bhp at 7300, as proven on their Dyno. It uses standard crank and rods, and has been incredibly reliable for nearly 2 seasons of frantic circuit racing. Mid-range torque is far better than the Hart420R engine in the other Chevron.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is "do it" using the standard parts. If you impose a sensible rev. limit of say 8000rpm, I think you would still see 200bhp on 1800 valve sizes-possibly more and retain good reliability.

Go on- you know you want to!

Chris.

Oh bugger! I swore I wouldn't do anything like this again. When does the sprint season start?

That last obliterated word starts with an S not an F. I'm not that rude, honest.

AMMO

Edited by - Ammo on 11 Sep 2002 22:00:29