Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall XE oil question

Trevor Phillips

Our 2.0 litre dry-sumped engine, running one of the tall, narrow SBD oil tanks, seems to want to pump oil out into the catch-tank. We have reduced the fill height in the oil tank to the top of the middle baffle but after a few minutes running it rises in the tank again to near the top. Pump pressure gives a healthy spurt back into to top of the tank [we have a T junction on this pipe with the take-off nearly vertical to the catch tank]. Having check under the rocker cover there is no build-up of oil, it seems to be draining down OK. The breather is also functioning OK.

Any thoughts, please? Also, if anyone has a diagram for the oil pipes on the dry-sump kit - it would be appreciated.

Trevor, I´m using a 7 litre not-so-slim-tank and had no problems yet. Remember to check the oil-level of the tank while the engine is running and up to operating temperature. That´s normaly the point where the oil-level settles. If you shut down the engine, a lot of oil slowly drains into the sump, hoses, pump etc. and after a few hours waiting the oil-level in the tank has significantly dropped. If you fill it up now to "normal" level there´s about 1 litre of oil too much in the system. Hope that helps.

Marius

Marius,

That could well be the problem as it was filled cold. Gregg, my mechanic, loved the smell of Valvoline race oil covering him head to foot [he took the cap of after running it up]. Also I want to try to get the T to the catch tank more vertical as it seems to pump from the rocker cover and may be finding it an easy route to escape.

Alex,

We got the car without engine/gearbox/oil cooler fitted and tank missing. Replaced tank with identical SBD unit. Fitted as - Bottom feed to pressure pump; return from Scavenge pump to high on side of tank; rocker cover to top of tank with a T off to catch tank. There is one less tank outlet than on Arnie's drawing - hence the need for the T junction.

If the tank is overflowing then you have a definite measure of the amount of oil in the system.

The tank is designed to cope with all the oil in the system except for the smallest amount that is ever retained in circulation. The smallest amount in circulation is at idle.

I can't comment on the vertical or not pipes you mention, 'cos I don't know enough about the setup. Generally the scavenge pump evacuates all the oil and the crankcase fumes as well. If you have a breather to the engine it will normally only see air being sucked into the engine as the scavenge pump supplies forced evacuation. It is quite viable to separate the breather from any catch tank arrangement or run sealed (not my recommendation) - a breather can just be attached with a small filter. The plumbing to the catch tank is then direct from the top of the dry sump tank and only catches overspill.

This arrangement means that all of the excess volume of fumes evacuated by the scavenge pump vents through the catch tank.

If you plumb the breather into the catch tank or the top of the dry sump tank then some of the fumes will be breathed back into the engine and the net outflow through the catch tank will consist of the piston ring blowby gas volume only.

Aha! You have now posted the description that sounds like my last paragraph.

It purely sounds like you have too much oil in the system. If the scavenge pump is specced and geared appropriately, the dry sump tank will be at higher pressure than the cam cover and the flow in the pipe to the cam cover will only ever be into the engine. The blowby volume is vented via the catch tank.

My 1.6 16v Vauxhall does the same - I use the same tank as you but run my engine sealed so there's only a return to the top of the tank from the pump. The catch tank is then connected to the take off from the neck of the dry sump tank.

I think Marius's (and now Peter's) suggestion is the one which makes most sense because when I changed the oil and popped the fittings off the scavenge pipes on the sump pan there was a fair bit of oil which had drained back into the sump.

As soon as the engine is started the scavenge pump pulls it straight out and back into the tank so overfilling the tank results in a swamped catch tank and a passenger with oily trousers !! 😳

Edited by - Nick M on 11 Sep 2002 11:24:13

It does sound like over fill.

I looked at the narrow tall tank but wanted more possible capacity as I might do longer races in the future. The larger ali tank was surprisingly light but of course needs a bit more oil at minimum to make it work... At Lydden I run it way off max capacity and have no problems so far.

The larger tank also has more space inside to allow for air seperation swirl things which I am informed my tank has...

I thought the VX was coming out after SVA...?

Spose you have to get it there and not leave a huge oil puddle on the floor though!

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Steve,

Brighton this weekend in it - just passed my MOT this morning so I can defend my Class 2 cup from last year [MOT required]. Then Caterham day at Lydden on 28th. If it survives then probably 2 races against you on the Sunday with SEMSEC and into October! Got to make sure the engine and drivetrain is suitable for sale and some good lap times will only help.

More of a complete transplant for someone wanting to upgrade to a healthy 205bhp Vauxhall. It will be engine, gearbox, propshaft, dry sump, clutch, DTA Management system, DTH Jenvey Throttle bodies, exhaust manifold and box etc etc......... nearly all new this year.

Ideal for a 1400cc or 1600cc car looking to have a complete assembly to drop in.