Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clunking Rack

Giles Wardle

My steering rack is making a clunking/banging noise just as the steering wheel passes a certain point. Steering is OK and no play in the wheel, but this clunking is worrying me.

If it was a broken tooth surely the noise would not be specific to a certain point in the steering, it would grind and happen all the time, not just as the wheel passes a certain point. Noise is definately coming from the rack ?

Any ideas ? Time for a new rack ?

Just had a Quick rack repaired By Thunder Eng In Leicester

Aparently They're not a very robust design. Suprise suprise

Steve fitted me a custom made bearing on the R/H/S . This has reduced the lock slightly.But as the Caterham has a turning circle close to that of a dodgem and we only race it Its not a problem.

I'm sure if you wernt sure about the rack Steve would have a look at it for you

The whole Job on mine cost under 40 Quid

Tel 01162531105

Mark

Thanks guys.

Peter, by thrusting I presume you mean a forward/backward motion. If so, no it's not doing this, but I will check the circlip all the same.

Thinking back; a while ago I did hit a kerb when taking evasise action from a blind MPV driver, I guess this may have cause damage to the rack. But it's only become apparent more recently.

A combination of this and my mysterious braking problem (other post) means that I'll be getting Cat. Midlands to fit new Master Cyclinder and look at the rack.

Isn't this the "usual" symptom that the quick racks always suffer from when they need adjustment? It sounds like it. There have been lots of threads in the past about how to adjust the rack correctly and the fact that they are so prone to going out of adjustment. Have a look and see if those postings sound like your symptom.

As for "turning circle of a dodgem" you've obviously got a different rack to me. When I changed from standard rack to quick rack, my turning circle became more like a supertanker than a dodgem.

Anthony