Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Choice

ps007

Hi all

I need help on tyre choice, 250bhp vauxhall Caterham, 90% track 10% road.

I curently have 185/60 R13 80H Yokohama O32R S compound all round.

I have heard that maybe run 195 on the back, maybe run SS compund.

want the best performance on the track in the dry. *cool*

Also does anyone have any good advice for wets, (for track only) I am also looking for a spare set of wheels.

Any good advice. 🤔

ps

250bhp on 185's *eek* moving to SS won't help, they tend to overheat on track. You could go to 205's on the rear but I would change all together and maybe consider some wider rims for the rear

For tyres

If not Slicks then Avon ACB10's for dry/ damp conditions, they are more expensive than 32's but are much lighter for better unsprung weight, wet handling is similar to 32's ie Ok in the damp, serious aquaplane in standing water.

For wets use Avon CR500's or Yoko 21's

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 10 Sep 2002 19:33:36

You need at least 205s on the back unless you want to be changing tyres every 5 minutes and spinning power away. 215s wouldn't be too much either with those power levels.

For ultimate dry grip on track you have to get slicks, but you'd be advised to get a dry sump (no matter how strong the Vx might be) if you don't have one.

As F355 notes, CR500s or 21Rs in the wet. To my mind the fact that 21Rs are half the price and last longer wins it. They make good road tyres too.

If I were you I'd put 21Rs on your current wheels (205 or 215 at the back, 185s on the front) and when you get a second set of rims make sure the rears are 8"-9". 8" slicks will probably work well, or 9"s if you must. 6" or 7" front rims will still be OK...

If your car's not set up for slicks and you genuinely use it 90% on track, look to have the deDion ears changed to suit crossplies and have the suspension set up to make best use of slicks.

*biggrin*

Thank you all for the advice, sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

I hate the wet with a passion so will bite the bullet and go for possibly the CR500 for road and wet track, If I can find some more wheels I will get slicks for the dry.

I have got a dry sump already Andy so I may also go for larger rims on the back.

No one has mentioned makes and codes for slicks, any further advice? *confused*

Any one going to Brands Hatch on Tuesday? *cool*