Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Long or short input shaft?

Grubbster

• Leadership Team

For information, to add to what Arnie said .... 1.4K will take either, although type 9 boxes originally fitted to 1.4Ks are more likely to have the long input shaft (there's some space bored into the end of the 1.4 crank that isn't there on the 1.6 or 1.8.

Stu.

All K series used the long input shaft, this is why Caterham position the Duratec engine in the forward position to enable them to use the same box, I switched my input shaft to the short one when I went Dratec therfore putting the engine in the preferred location using a short bellhousing and Raceline mounts.

Are you sure you not getting confused with the nose length on the input shaft which for a K needs circa 12mm trimming off the end or the number of splines which I understnd was different on a rare few earlt 1.4's though I thought this was restricted to the 6 speeder.

Too young to be old !

I need to change to a longer 1st gear in my 5 speeder - so I can either send my box somewhere for it to be done, or by another box with a long 1st. I found new box with a long first for sale and it says 'short input shaft' so I just want to be sure it will go in my car OK *thumbup*

EFA, yes it is as the splines on the long shaft are about 25mm longer than on the short shaft, you can turn the shaft down or replace the 1st motion shaft either way it's complete box strip.

K installations use a long shaft with a trimmed down nose

This accounts for the difference in Duratec engine location using either CC bellhousing or the short Raceline one

The long shaft was standard on the type 9 box used on the V6 variants which is why Caterham specify the box should come from and XR4i in their blurb for people buying a CKD.

Grubbster, give Speve Perks a call at SPC he'll sort you out http://www.spcomponents.co.uk/

Too young to be old !

Edited by - 7 wonders of the world on 5 Dec 2010 09:38:33