Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I have a small problem.

Red SLR

I have been having problems with my new R300 for the last 5 or 6 days.

The car is almost complete bar the back wings. When I started the car up on Thursday it was running quite rough and was not idling very well at all. I thought it was becuase it was new etc.

Then on Friday I played around with the engine a bit more and found that it was not running well for a reason. (that I cant find) There is no power in the engine, its poping and misfiring like you would not belive and the idle is anywhere from 500 revs to 1500 revs, and changes by the second. It does not like to rev over 4000 rpm at all.

I was not going to post up here as I thought I would give Caterham chance to sort it out.

As yet they have come up with a few suggestions but nothing has helped.

We have tried:

Checking all the plugs etc

Checking the ECU version

Checking the correct HT lead goes to the correct plug

Check the injectors

Check the throttle pot

Balancing the TBs.

Yesterday the car would not start. I checked all the normal things and it still would not start.

So in the end I pulled the ecu connection and pluged it back in and then it started ok.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any ideas what to check next?

Caterhams only solution at the moment is either take the car back to caterham or get an engine tech to come up here.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

I have just noticed something else very weird.

The mileage on the car when I started it was 1.1. I remember that.

Tonight it reads 4.6.

Errr. But its not been driven anywhere.

So I sat in the car with the engine on and watched the guage..... 4.6....4.6....4.6 ..... 4.7....4.7.....4.7.......4.8........ *mad*

Also the Aces shift light comes on at start up, then if you rev the engine (just a blip) it goes out.

I got the engine to rev to about 5000rpm but nothing lit up.... very strange.

X777CAT

I suggest you check that the transducers that the ecu uses are all plugged in and secure. The problem sounds as if it is losing speed or flywheel position signal. The later has to be at the correct distance from the flywheel to give a reliable signal. With a new car and new bits you may well have a faulty component that can only be found either by elimination or a diagnostic box. The surious odometer reading would indicate that there is crap signals or lots of noise somewhere

Thank God I've got a clockwork speedo and an Emerald ECU, Caterham should really ditch these crappy instruments and go (back ?) to good quality mechanical speedos. abd while they're at it dith the crappy MEMS and get a decent programmable ECU. I'm not saying it should be an Emerald, just ANY good quality remapable one.

Good luck Simon.

Roy

*wink*

There is no doubt that the cam timing will be "out" (standard pegged pulleys?) but hopefully not by as much as one tooth ! Great idea to check though !

I presume you are now on MBE, not MEMS and that you have an EU3 loom so an EU2 MEMS/Emerald won't plug in? Because you could borrow one if it would.

I am surprised that the wheel speed comes from the ECU? Doesn't it just come up from the gearbox transducer and go straight into the back of the speedo? I didn't know that any of our ECU's had a wheelspeed input (common practice on "ordinary" cars but for sure my SLR doesn't have one as speed is taken from the front wheel!)

If the speedo is separate then even noise shouldn't generate a signal to create mileage - and as the odo read 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 etc you should have seen the needle displaying a speed (it is obviously linked inside the speedo) I reckon you might also have a duff instrument?

I would check the ground connctions between the loom and the chassis. SOunds to me that you have a floating earth.

There is a big one under the scuttle which can be troublesome if the powder coating is not cleaned off properly around the connection.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 11 Sep 2002 11:18:15

Do Caterham leave the cam timing as standard or remove the pins and throw the cam timming over a bit to help preformance, if so the cam timming could be out a little or a full tooth a service manager at a Ford garage told me they use a ten mm spanner to hold the cams in place to do the timming [ oh dear] so no wonder my mates RS1800 ran like **** after a cam belt change also check for water in any of the plugs on the loom and damaged pins trapped wires in the loom [crank sensor] cable etc.

Speedo is it the stack if yes check there is no greese on the sensors face and its set correctaly for the pick up point DO NOT over tighten these sensors as they go haywire locktight the two nuts and just a litle tighter than finger tight.

Paul.

See My Car Here

Caterham keep the roll pins for cam timing. If you want to swing the timing a bit you can widen the slot strategically and then bolt it all up, still keeping the rollpins. On a couple of skimmed heads I have adjusted the timing intentionally by moving it a tooth where the skimming has had the effect of reducing the overall timing swing.

F335GTS - I have to confess - it was me I posted the query about the mileage reading gradually increasing even though all I had done was push the car in and out of the garage a few times.

I never got a satisfactory explanation for this but I decided not to worry and in the overall scheme of things it doesn't seem to matter very much. *idea*Reminds me I ought to check if it is still happening - I guess it probably is.

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying