Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series head gasket

Alan and Daisy

Quite a few things need to be checked when fixing a K-series with a head gasket failure, from my research:

- Did you check the liner protrusions from the block as if they are low, the new gasket might not seal properly?

- Has the head gone soft from being overheated?

- Is the head bolts length correct or were new genuine bolts fitted?

- Has the head been overskimmed, leaving it too short?

- What gasket set did you use?

- What symptoms were/are you getting to suggest the gasket has gone (again)?

I'm certainly no expert on the matter but have read around it quite a bit for a future engine build. *smile*

Thanks Mankee

The reason I think it has gone again is that I am loosing water and discovered a leak coming from between the head and block on the exhaust side of the engine. I have checked the torque on the head bolts(new ones fitted with new mod gasket) and they are fine. Do I need to get a new head as skimming it again does not sound like an option.

Mature enthusiast Black with Silver stripe 1.8K super sport. Back with my 7.

Edited by - Alan and Daisy on 2 Dec 2010 11:56:19

Are you still running a standard inlet on your Supersport and did you change the inlet gasket when you did the head gasket? It might be that the inlet gasket is leaking, coolant dribbling round to the front (as the engine is tilted over in a Caterham) and showing up as a leak on the exhaust side?

There's a bit about this on the MG-Rover forums here.

You can get a shim (think it's called a 6th layer?) to go with the 5-layer metal head gasket if your head is a bit low and/or soft. Think my spare engine came with one of these as it had done fairly high miles.

Hopefully it will be a simple fix for you as it's gutting having to undo all your recent hard work!

• 1 month later...

I have changed the water rail gasket and the thing is still leaking, next step is to repalce the inlet manifold gasket, I know I have been a bit slow with this but it has been so bl**dy cold and I am in no hurry as I don't intend to use the car till March.

Alan

Mature enthusiast Black with Silver stripe 1.8K super sport. Back with my 7.

Same issue as Grubbster - turns out I had a tiny fracture in the weld on the water rail just near the gasket itself which was leaking, but it looked as though the gasket was at fault initially. Was actually abit of a pain tracking down a replacement water rail in what I believe was an older design, should have just had it welded.

try to get hold of some developer that is used in colout contrast crack detection (its basicaly french chalk in the aerosol) spray that on the pipe let it dry, start the engine and wait and watch for the "damp patch"

Tweeky

to infirmity.................... and beyond