Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Class

The Laddie

The car is coming close to being finished and having followed a similar path to that of Mr W Snr and skydragon the question of class comes to mind.

The power plant will be pushing approx 155bhp and as far as I can see the only difference between Classes 2 & 3 is tyres....please tell me if I'm wrong.

The problem...if there is one...is that it is currently fitted with Prisoner (14") wheels.

Class 2 = 15" and Stunners; Class 3 = 13" and Kumhos or please tell me if I'm wrong.

The other side is; not being trailer trash, List 1a would be cheaper for road use, whereas List 1b and soft could be quite expensive (10,000 miles pa in the old one).

What say you?

Enjoy,

Mike

(aka VII SVN)

The only diffrence between class 2 and 3 is the tyres. I have always prefered the idea of using 1b tyres and did class 3 for some years. I know some who have driven to events on the soft Kumho's. I used my super soft to drive to Harewood and back and used them for genral road use.

As for the 14" rims. Well do you have ajustable platforms so you change the hight of the car? Runing 13" may be tight on the road. It has been many years since I had the standard non ajustable hight dampers and I run 14" rims.

I made some expensve mistakes when I started. On was to change damper. I then change them again about a year later. If I was doing it all agian I would spend as little money at first. With the greatest respect not knowing your seven, on tracks that you may or may not know you have a lot going against you to win your class.

Can you tell us what platforms you have on your dampers as this might indicate the best way forward.

hope this helps

David

Hi David,

Winning class is but a pipe dream...even if I smoked...

Getting the car to the best it can be, and then bringing myself up to the best I can be is all I ask

The platforms will be adjustable and the dampers are intended to be Gary's AVO adjustable....if he ever answers the phone!

If the Kumho's come in 14 inch, you may well have answered the question already

Enjoy,

Mike

(aka VII SVN)

• Support Team

You can get 185/55R14 Kumho V70A in soft compound so I think class 3 it is!

We did 2 seasons driving to all the events on soft compound and I got a full season out of a set of tyres.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Prisoners wheels are 15" aren't they?

Put some Stunners on those, and come and play in class 2.

Running Kumhos may mean wide ones, wider wing stays etc.,

plus they wouldn't last on a track day/test day.

Also, I suspect a mini tyre war is looming with ZZRs becoming more popular

in class 3/4/5, and I wouldn't fancy driving to a track in heavy rain on those.

Do you have a dry sump? I'm nervous of using very sticky 1B tyres with

just an apollo on my K.

AB

• Area Representative

Mike,

The "Prisoner" wheels are 15" not 14".

The power plant will be pushing approx 155bhp

How has this 155bhp been acheived?

Remember, for class 2 & 3, 1600 K's are allowed porting (retaining standard valves), but 1800K's are not allowed any porting work. Both must retain the standard plenum, and a MEMS ECU. (its all in the championship regulations, and has remained unchanged for the last few years)

Hi Mike

Glad to see it all coming together.

Before we talk tyres I think we need to confirm the engine spec as I think Adrian has alluded to and Richard has also set out the rules.

Email me email or call me on 07920 843146 and we'll sort it all out. I have to say 155 seems to be stretching a K in Class 2/3.

I may be able to help out with suspension also!

Simon

Competition Sec

Management Team Member

If in doubt.......Flat out!

Alan, Adrian & Richard,

OK, I thought they were prisoner, but they are definitely 14".

The 155 is 1600k DVA porting & forged pistons plus verniers.

You won't see me on trial *redface* 😬

Edited to add 4-2-1 exhaust

Enjoy,

Mike

(aka VII SVN)

Edited by - The Laddie on 29 Nov 2010 22:52:20

Mike

Assuming original plenum and mems as Richard has already said will indeed put you in 2 or 3.

The horsepower figure is unlikely without a custom map which you can't have with mems. I also had a DVA 1600 to that spec a few years ago and there's no way it was 155bhp, speed trap times were identical to standard 1800's which only make 140bhp.

Adrian

The 155 figure came from DVA and was a quote for insurance purposes....so may carry an element of safety within it.

Mems is the original and unchanged, 2 or 3 is the appropriate place and 99.9% probability of 3 bearing in mind wheel & tyre options discussed above.

Enjoy,

Mike

(aka VII SVN)