Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sump dammage

RDEX

A word to the wise. I have just made a very expensive and very disappointing discovery about my 7 bought second hand from Caterham Midlands earlier this year.

While performing the first oil change since purchasing the car, I found that the sump plug would not tighten. Although reasonably confident that I hadn’t been the cause of the thread being striped, after a conversation with Caterham I decided to pay for the repair myself as removing the sump plate and helecoiling the plug didn’t seem a major operation.

I took the car to a trusted mechanic yesterday whom on inspecting the car found epoxy around the sump plug and that one of the bolts securing the sump plate had also been stripped and epoxyed in place.

Since I have a full service history performed by Caterham and that the pre-purchase service was also done by them I can only lay blame at their door, although I wouldn’t expect them to accept responsibility nether would I expect epoxy engineering on something as crucial as the sump.

Since discovering this I see there are other postings reporting similar problems. I for one will be getting my future servicing done by someone I can trust not to perform such bodges. BEWARE…

*mad*