Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Rear Wing Protectors

Dignity

Hi All,

I have just taken delivery of a pair of new stainless wing protectors and I am going to swop them for the old carbon ones. I have got to drill the wings but it all looks straight forward enough even by my numpty standards. I just wondered if anyone has any tips or do's and dont's as I am sure many of you will have done this job before?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Dignity

• Area Representative

As you say, fairly straight forward. I like to use plain washers on the rivets on the inside of the wing to spread the load.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Millwood ones are ok, they certainly offer better protection, and I'd never fit the standard ones again. But they do get ragged after a while. I've found back to black bumper stuff does a really good job *thumbup*

Nigel

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

I fitted new wing protectors soon after taking delivery of my car as it had covered a few miles and they looked sad. It was an easy job to do, just don't rush it. Take your time drilling out the old rivits and use plain washers to spread the load on the inside of the wings. When they look ruff you can change them again and for not a lot of money. IMHO a great, easy job that makes the car look like new *thumbup*

Longy

I'm at the stage now that there are so many paint chips & dents in the wing protectors that I'm acctualy quite proud of it's battle scarred appearance *wink*

I'm sure the rear wings on narrow track cars like mine take more of a hammering than widetrack ones! Also changing to stickier tyres made matters worse *rolleyes*

Mind you take a pic from far enough away & it still looks immaculate (this months fridge door *wink*)

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 23 Nov 2010 23:32:33

My carbon ones are stuck on which I dont fancy doing again particularly as the new guards are pre drilled so this means drilling the fibreglass.

I have never drilled fibreglass and I am thinking masking tape and slow drill speed?

Oh and remembering to turn off the hammer function *wink*

Any other do's/dont's ?

Regards

Dignity

On my superwide carbon wings (+55mm), I got pre-cut 3M stoneguard protection film from RiF, now 666. It seems to do the job very well, and looks great, -because you cant see it... *cool*. Or, keep you cars on the tarmac, guys *wavey*

Egil

• 3 months later...

T1PAU and Dignity

the Stagonset website is still down. Did you use this type of M3 x 10mm bolt/screw and with a washer and nyloc on the back (inside) of the fibreglass wheel arch.

linky

Dignity

I too am fitting stainless steel wing protectors to a late 80's rear wings. Dd you use 10mm or 16mm long screws/bolts in the end?

Edited by - Clousta on 24 Mar 2011 10:48:08

Hi Gavin,

I have not yet fitted the steel wing protectors as I bought a set of anthracite wheels and my carbon protectors match better (I followed SM25T's tip and clean them with vinyl cleaner). I did purchase these bolts here. I bought 10mm/16mm, washers and nyloc nuts from this seller and they arrived quickly.

I did offer the bolts up to the protectors and the fit really snug so that's the recommendation *thumbup*

Good luck

Regards

Dignity

Dignity,

thanks for the rapid feedback.

I think I will go for the allen button head screws rather than the countersunk style. I think they will fit in with the classic 'prisoner' clamshell theme better (Jaguar BRG and Lotus yellow nose) of my Caterham.

The rear wings are currently fitted with armour fend which is great stuff but only comes up the rear wing to about half the height of the stainless steel wing protectors. This is proving to be a bit of problem with stones being thrown up by the A021R sticky tyres, above the armour fend, hence the need to fit the protectors. Also the Jaguar BRG is quite a dark green, the stainless steel protectors will brighten things up a bit.

The protectors are s/h, nicely broken in by Wight skipper (cheers) *wavey* which will match the nice patina of the rest of the car.