Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Revs don't drop - K series

Loverobot

Hi LoveBoot, just seen your posts. Off to Filey in the morning but back in a weeks time if you need a slightly more able body to help. Obviously only with car related problems, your on your own for 'bathroom' assistance.

Don't worry about getting 'told off' on here, I have been as well several times, seems to go with the territory. Just chill in the knowledge --------------------. 😶‍🌫️

lots of love m and s 🥰

ps Cracoe meeting this evening.

Over tightened air filter on a plastic TB had a very definite effect on my car, the TB plastic became so eliptical the butterfly wouldn't close fully which caused a tickover of over 2k rpm.
wow, I've never heard of an over-tightened air filter before, if anything mine was more in danger of coming off as the jubilee clip was useless!

The IACV (also known as stepper motor - as it controls the revs up and down in a series of steps) can be blanked off by taping over it or simply removed, you'll need to manage the idle on either the idle screw or (it it's stuck, which is highly likely) throttle pedal. It will start like a dog as well. IACV bypassing is really only for diagnostics and emergencies!

Worst case scenario is that it's both the IACV AND something else, like one of the sensors telling the ECU the wrong information, a fault somewhere in the wiring, or even something simple like a bad earth can cause no end of trouble.

Rover 25s don't seem to have the same sorts of problems, but if you look at the wiring installation in a Caterham it is much more stressed/pulled on cheap thin wires, and in any case Rovers are usually driven by old men in hats, and very rarely over 30mph 😬

Oily - thanks will do that and come back - it does sound exactly like that in the sense that when the engine is v hot and being pushed when changing gear the revs stay up and gently fall - blipping the throttle seems to have limited success in causing the revs to drop

Sforshaw - my Lizzie had the deformed throttle body problem though it just made it stick open not gently fall so I know it can do it but my throttle body is ally anyway so def not that

Malc - cant do this week at Cracoe as wife flies away tomorrow and would be in deep do-do for that but intend to make the meeting next week - if you are there maybe you can have a poke?! Not troubled about being told off btw - this board is brilliant on the whole and I figure that dont ask = dont find out - also I am not such a mechanical numpty having done lots of bike related spannering - but often there are lots of tricks that you only fond out with experience first hand or from others!

Coyote - thanks for that - am going to have a proper play tomorrow night and see what condition the IACV is in