Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4K Series starting & electrical probs

TomB

2 weeks ago I was happily blating along, when my oil pressure light came on dimly intermittently (not the bright red when you turn the ignition on) and the tacho started widely moving but with no change in engine note.

Stopped the car to check no oil loss & level, all OK, but car wouldnt start. A rapid clicking noise but no attempt to turn over from the starter. Get it push started & drive slowly home.

Tonight the car starts. I took the sliver heat blanket off the starter motor & had a look around. A brown or green wire under the exit manifold nearest the battery has had its insulation melted & is looking bad. How can i fix a wire that goes into the loom? I guess this is a prime suspect.

Battery & all fuses are OK.

There is still a glow from the oil pressure light whe engine is running. My Dad suggested this could be a feature that proves the bulb is working but I am sure I havnt noticed it before.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Back to top!

Why does my oil pressure light have a slight glow when the engine is running? It is not the full on red light that you get when the ignition is turned on.It flickers on full when accelerating hard. The oil level in th dry sump tank is fine & the engine sounds normal. I think the bulb connections are OK

I am inclined to think electrical problems but I dont want my engine to get damaged incase its not! I know nowt about car electrics, so please talk slowly!

😬

Tom,

This is the ignition light and is warning of a poor charge to the battery. It should extinguish completely once the engine is running.

Check all other wires too, and the charge to the battery when the engine is running. Search the archives for the readings you should obtain.

Regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

You lot are going to think I am really dense. It wasnt the oil pressure light it was the ignition light!!

Anyway i have changed the alternator over the last week, and the light wont go off now. Its really pissing me off cos I havnt driven the car for a whole week now. Has Halfords sold me a lemon? I am sure the belt is tight enough. My dashboard light fuse blew & has not been changed yet - will this make a difference to the ignition light?

The voltage across the battery is about 13 when off and about 12 when its idling. Is it time to try a new battery? How much are the 12v banner batteries & are they easy to get hold off?

Please help cos I want to go to the Lakes on Saturday to keep Buda company! (See other thread)

Edited by - TomB on 19 Sep 2002 19:10:16

21:28 Update

Prized apart the alternator connector to find a brown & pink or Purple wire has broken away from the blade connector. This cable is 2-3 mm diameter, so I wonder if it taking power to the battery.

Can i buy a connector plug from Rover, cut the existing plug off & crimp the cables into the 3 wire housing.

Lesson - prize apart / break connector plugs before you spend £65 on a new alternator.

Problem fixed. the system is now charging properly

Halfords sold me a dead alternator the w**kers!

Fuming with them, a letter will be written.

I suggest finding a trusted auto electrician & dealing with them. The cost of a properly refurbed alt is around £40 - Halfords charge £65.

• 4 weeks later...

I just shouted at halfrauds for being incompetent.

There are a surprising amount of auto electricians in the yellow pages

I have a choice of two small autoelectrical companies I will use in the future. One is in Deeside, nr Chester & the other in Birkenhead, Wirral. Do you want more specifics? Am I to assume you are local to Merseyside / Wirral?