Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What happens to used engine oil?

Dirty Den

Stupid question time.... *cool*

Assuming you aren't antisocial enough not to dispose of it properly *thumbdown*, what happens to used engine oil?

Is it refined at all? Just curious as I've got numerous containers of used engine oil that I need to take down tip - and I was wondering what they do with it all once I've poured it into those huge drums....

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Edited by - Dirty Den on 9 Sep 2002 19:40:46

Thanks Paul - I wasn't intending to do anything other than take it to the council tip. In fact, last time I went the drums were full so I had to bring it back with me! 🙆🏻 I was just curious as to what happens to it...

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Den,

Old engine oil has a number of uses. Certainly some of it is re-refined and forms the bulk of the cheaper oils. Some time back one of the oil companies was somewhat embarassed when re-refined oil was detected in on of their premium brands. Old oil is also mixed with soot to make the cheapest newsprint "ink", which is why the old tabloids used to make your hands black.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Lots of the smaller local garages have space heaters that can burn old engine oil, they do engine oil changes and get free fuel for the winter.

My mate who's got one refuses to take my old oil tins as it alway includes globs of brake fluid (flame almost goes out) and brake cleaner (heater takes off vertically.....).

They're rapidly getting legislated out of existence though as the PC environment agency apply rules designed for oil fired power stations to a heater the size of your domestic boiler. Jobsworth tossers.