Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brise alternators - are they worth it?

greg

Dear All,

My alternator has given up, probably did not like me reving it to 8000rpm repeatedly!

So a few people (Peter, Dave) has brise ones, and do not seem to have had a problem - what do people think of them?

This is for fitting into a CrossFlow - apparently they are not a straight swap - does anyone know the issues?

Clues/thoughs please!

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Strangely my Valeo gave up on Sat at Lydden. VX eng.

The light was on until I hit 6000 rpm... It had vibrated itself to hell after the rear lug had cracked god knows how long before... it was still well mounted and not loose to the a hand waggle....

It weighs 3.5kg.

A replacement from Partco is £65. Can't exchange as it broken... exhange is £41!

I've had this trusty Alt vibrate loose on the Haggis Hunt and it has lasted 5+ years in all.

A Brise job to suit is over £200 and weighs 2.8 or 3.5kgs depending on which one actually fits....

So I think it's Partco and a bigger spec pulley to drop the revs a bit....

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 9 Sep 2002 19:39:46

Greg, the brise alternators are very compact and light compared to the standard fitments, yes they are quite expensive compared to replacement original uints, but they are built to a much higher standard specification, also the units are a higher ampage than the stock lucas/ bosch units, they also can be rebuilt when a failure occurs, as for costs if you bypass there agents, you can get it for about 185+vat. I have had one of there starter motors, and when my alternator breaks no doubt that they will have my custom.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

No, not certain, but a strong suspicion. A visit to a breakers yard will confirm one way or the other.

My favourite emporium for Daihatsu Charade alternators (for that is what they are) is Sahibs Auto Electric, on the Hanger Lane Gyratory in Acton, North West London (near the Ace Cafe). One of my Daihatsu alternators (I have 2, one on each Westfield) has a slightly modified case (I ground a little bit off), and they turned it around in 90 minutes, for 60 odd quid..........I had previously bought it 2 years before from a scrappy for a tenner, took it to Sahib, who reconditioned it for about the same money (Oh, and I broke it. It wasn't Sahib's lack of technical excellence that caused it to fail, I fried it........). Prices may have risen since then, but even so, I doubt it will be anything like £185 + VAT (and delivery) that Brise want. The Brise item just isn't worth the money they are asking, IMO, especially if, as Peter and I suspect, they actually do nothing at all to the "base model", in terms of improvements. You certainly don't need any more amperage than the bog standard Daihatsu one supplies...........Both mine are the single wire versions, and they were a doddle to wire and fit.

All very well, but in drilling my cheapy replacement alternator to fit I didn't get everything at right angles causing it to throw a belt and lunch my engine. I rather wish I had gone back to Brise now... *mad*

Reason for running the cheapy was because the Brise supplied (but standard 50A) suffered from consistent high rev use and had failed.

The original Brise one is now in repair at Grove Autoparts, Mitcham with an expected repair bill of ~70 quid vs. 185 Brise price for a new one. Brise also do a high output one.

Now I know I didn't need any more than 50 amps, but I do wonder whether the charging at idle would be better with a high output alternator. I was running 80mm to 53mm pulley reduction and this gave reasonable charging from 2000rpm, but regular duty to 9300 rpm killed it. If you are running one to 8000, gear it so that the alternator never sees above 14,000 rpm and you should be OK. I would wonder whether a high output one would be safe to 14,000 and still give more charge at low revs.