Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jelly in the fuel

Nick T

*confused* My car, 1700 X-flow is suffering from the fuel pump (Facet solid state) inlet filter becoming blocked with a clear jelly. It usually lasts about 50 miles before blocking, and once cleaned its fine for the next 50 miles. I have just changed from using Optimax to Esso Super-unleaded, but it is too soon to see if this will have an effect. Short of removing the fuel tank and having it steamed cleaned I am lost for ideas. Anyone had similar problems, or has got some useful ideas?

Hi Nick,

Had the same problem once...'cept my jelly was orange! Cause was someone using orange RTV instant gasket to cure the leak around the fuel tank gauge sender unit. This slowly degrades in petrol into a jelly and drops into the tank...so clear RTV somewhere in the fuel system is one possibility.

Suggest you look at the sender unit externally for signs that RTV has been used. If it has you will need to replace the sender unit gasket....don't refit with RTV(!) and flush the tank and pipes etc.

Not a nice job.......... 🙆🏻

Cheers and commiserations

JonP

Back, poorer and Se7ening again!

I have two friends who have had this problem, both have used optimax recently. I suggest you remove the tank, flush it out with some none optimax petrol, dry it thorughly and replace. I haven't worked out what the chemical process is yet which causes the problem but if I find out I'll let you know.

Bob

Nick

All year had problem with car going aprox 11-13 miles and stopping after a spell of which can be described as missfire. Noticed one large air bubble in connection pipe between carbs when this happens. Leave car for 20-30 mins and it starts and runs ok for another 11-13 miles.

Changed fuel pump, regulator - still same. Changed fuell pipe, back to front - still same.Also changed ALDON IGNITER,HT leads,plugs still same.

A Westi freind has borrowed me a red top Facet pump which Iam going to try. But before I have come to fit this, have took the sender unit off of tank and noticed this was sealed with orange Hermatite. Could this be the problem all along? Also the sponge baffle in the alloy tank looks a bit suspect could this be being sucked up the pipe to the pump? Iam in two minds to cut the tank open to see. (have a freind of a freind who is a coded ally welder but dont know yet if he could patch it up afterwards) Has anyone else had this problem ?