Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Can anyone help with a MBE Unit on a K-Series engine?

Patrick

Hi,

i want to connect a MBE unit on a K-Series engine, but i have a problem.

At idle the engine warms um normal.

As temperture reaches 60 deg and above the engine gets an irratic idlle and the engine stops.

What might that be?

Does anyone have a working map for a K-series, using dths and 285H Cams?

Thanks

Patrick

This begs a whole raft of questions...

1. You have reported problems but don't state whether they appear with the MBE connected to the engine or with the current ECU (you say you want to connect such, but not whether you have done so).

2. If this is with the current ECU, what is it?

3. If it is the MBE unit, from where did you get it? Was it already mapped? What was it mapped for? Is your engine the same as the one it was mapped for?

Your problem sounds like the map has temerature correction to 60 degrees and then either too much correction or is falls off completely. You need to supply a better description of the scenario.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Yes this appears when the ecu is connected to the engine.

The unit is a MBE 967Ba47a ec2

We did the mapping, but we took the basics from a simular car wich had an emerald and rekalkulated it.

I got the MBE from SBD and they think it might be a problem with the basic ignition and fuel map.

So i would like to see a Map to combine what we made wrong.

I believe too that there might be a problem with the compensation vs basic map

I do not believe that it is possible to make a copy of a map from one ECU and create a workable map for another ECU. I'm sure it is a good place to start but you really need to have the ECU mapped for your engine. Anything less than this may result in your engine being damaged. I do not believe it is worth not having it set up correctly...

However, from your posts I believe you may not be based in the UK. This is something I failed to pick up on the first time around. Where in the world are you and have you got access to someone with a suitable rolling road?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Patrick

My MBE equipped car is showing similar characteristics but one or two other anomalies too.

This is doubly odd as it never used to do it (engine was rebuilt and popped back in, hence a change).

The car will be going back to the people who did the engine to have it sorted. There was some idea that it *might* be down to the voltage compensation map but there's been a serious amount of head scratching with it.

If you want more details, mail me.

PS The engine runs nicely above 4k revs, just won't hold and idle and is a bit wobbly at about 2k-3k revs.

Yes, sorry about my english - i´m from germany.

The car ist not running properly at idle at the moment.

We want to map the car on the rr, but we need to have the idle problem first sorted out. The engine starts pinking at idle after warming up.-preignition rises up to 60 deg advance, while the basic map alows only 0 deg. advance.

The engine stops.

There must be a coruption between the corrections maps and basic map wich causes the problem.

If anyone has solved that problem on the k-series it would be nice to have a look what the problem was.

Afterwards we are going do the rr mapping.

I believe that it should be possible to get a good setup with this management.

Patrick

You have no need to excuse your English. It is far better than my German (or most others on this site).

Certainly the K series can be mapped properly. There are enough non-factory-mapped K's out there running just fine. However, most are sorted on the RR. As MArius said, is it possible to borrow a trailer and bring it over here? I'm very surprised that there isn't an RR available to you in Germany.

I don't know much about the MBE (in fact nothing at all, except how to spell it) but the Emerald has base map with all sorts of corrections including temperature. The user interface is pretty simple, although it needed careful studying before I attempted to sort out my bad idle. Now that I've spent some time on it, it is fine, but I confess that I started with a base map by Dave Walker, so I could guarantee it was spot on.

BTW The Pope refers to the other Dave... Mr Andrews. DW is more often known by his alter ego, Rave Talker.

If your English is up to reading a good book, I can heartily recommend Rave Talker's book. Proper title is:

Engine Management by Dave Walker, published by Haynes.

He described mapping an engine from scratch. Whilst I understand fuel injection, accurate ignition is a little beyond me. The book does explain how to make a good start-up map but as with all things he believes (as we all do) that to get it right it needs a RR.

Good luck.