Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Friend needs advice on Starter Problem

Tony Wright

A friend has asked me for some advice ref a garage removing and replacing his K series starter motor on the other side of his engine *confused*. He has been suffering the K click!! Anyway here is his text:

"I need your advice. I took my Caterham to a garage down in Wegberg. He was recommended by a colleague at work. However, with my 1.6K series he has said that it needs a new starter motor. I am fine with that, although going in there today I saw that he has had to put it on the left hand side of the engine (thus leaving the fly wheel exposed where the original one was on the right). He has also said that the teeth are not meshing with the flywheel so needs to sharpen the teeth of the new starter motor or address the distance the starter now sits from the fly wheel. Speaking to a friend, he seems to think the mechanic has brought the wrong starter and is now tinkering to try to make it fit. I agree that is seems like a huge amount of work to undertake for what is a standard engine. I am quite concerned as he has also mentioned having to renew the flywheel if he can not addrerss the meshing issues".

He is ringing the garage to tell them to stop all work until he returns on Tue next week. "By the way Wegberg is a small town in Germany as that is where we live".

How on earth did he get it to fit on the other side of the engine? *eek*

I would retrieve the car straight away! Starter motor is a job that can be undertaken by anyone with a spanner, I recommend your friend sources the correct motor and fits it himself.

I had a meshing problem once that was resolved simply by removing the motor, and refitting it.

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

• Area Representative

This sounds bizarre. I can't see how you can reposition a starter motor to the other side of the engine.

If it is the K series click when the engine is hot, then simply replacing the starter motor may not be the cure.

This may help.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Sorry for not coming back sooner but been on the golf course *biggrin*.

He has been in touch with the garage and work has now stopped *thumbup* I'll try see the car when Phil gets back from UK next week as it has me intrigued *confused* He is getting a friend to purchase a new starter for the K Series while he is at home but think the click problem will return over a period of time ☹️.

Sorry forgot to mention, small world Mark *wavey* are you ex forces 🤔

Edited by - Tony Wright on 5 Nov 2010 16:07:36

• Area Representative

Bri - good point. I read Tony's intro which stated "other side of the engine" and assumed it has moved from the "normal" side to the other. I can't see how you can fit a starter to the offside of the car.

I suspect they are trying to fit a starter that isn't right for the car, but probably in the right place. It will be interesting to find out.

Remarks however still stand, that if it is the K series click when the engine is hot then a new starter may not be the cure and the fix using a relay will cost less than a tenner.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

To be quite honest the RAF side closed about 6 maybe 7 years ago and the Army took over Bruggen, I think you could probably count the RAF guys using your fingers and toes. Luckily the golf course still remains and the opportunity to scare passengers on the runways and perry track as long as you don't get caught 😬. Actually got stopped speeding down the main runway about 5 weeks ago but luckily I know the local bobby so he made a sarcastic remark about trying to take off *smile*

Phil is back tomorrow so will try and find out what happened.