Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supersport R upgrade

Colin Grundy

If its anything like the SLR roller barrel upgrade kit, which I guess it must be (roller barrels, injectors, fuel rail, air filter, ECU, wiring loom and support bracket) then the price should be the same price (£1650+vat+fitting).

I hope the standard 1.8 pistons can take the abuse, they weren't designed to and we all know that they fall apart at high speed.

BC

1650 quid

TBs and airbox can be had for 750

QED for the TBs - 425 plus VAT

airbox with bits to use std filter and linkage - 230 inc VAT.

This comes to about 750 inc VAT and postage.

The roller TBs over notmal TBs will not make any difference through a std head and part throttle is better with a butterfly throttle.

Even including an Emerald ECU and full mapping session (which everybody should have) you're still up a few hundred. You could almost get a decent custom exhaust in that price as well...

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Mr Hooper - therein lies the cost of getting someone to do the work for you and why most estimates for K series upgrades are somewhat misleading if you have the work done by someone else.

I saw one of these being done at Caterham the other week (I believe it was the first one).

The upgrade would take a 1600 out to 1800 (if necessary), add cams, roller barrels and an MBE ECU and provide something around the 160bhp mark. I believe it comes with a blue plug lead cover to differentiate it from "built from scratch R" models. Not sure if any light head work is done but don't think so.

Piston life shouldn't be a massive problem as I understand the power comes in at well below 8k revs?

IIRC an all up cost of around 3k was being mooted (perhaps less if you start with an 1800). Which if you start with a bog std. K at about 110-115bhp isn't that bad when you consider that it's a factory upgrade and would, I think, be warrantied.

Thanks for the responses, seems know ones that sure exactly what the upgrade is and what it costs. I tried ringing after sales today but I couldnt get through.

If it is three grand on top of the standard 1.8K price, this makes it a very expensive way of achieving 160BHP. You might as well bang a VVC in for an extra £300.

I have a vested interest in finding out as I shall be purchasing an engine for mine soon.

*confused*

The VVC is a completely different type of engine, proving (if proof were needed) that head line figures are only part of the story.

There's an R300 article in LF that describes it perfectly.

You could do a lot, LOT worse than look at oilyhands stuff.

The pre owned car with 160 bhp is a factory authorised upgrade performed by Minister. You can order the Minister u/g through the factory / aftersales and this will be warrantied i believe through ~Caterham, and as you can see they will take the car in p/ex or sor - according to Jason anyway.