Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bump Steer on CSR

Se7en

Had the suspension all set up on corner weights, alignment done to best estimates for radial slicks. Wishbones are nice and level but steering track rods are at quite an angle downwards. Jeff Wilson did a bump steer check and confirmed it is bad (don't know the readings). Have not driven it yet 😔 but can't think it will feel good on bumps! 😳

Don't know what they are like on a stock CSR? They are in the middle (ish) of the hole in the side skin so look about right from a rack height perspective. I have one spacer on top of the cross member and one underneath. Any CSR owners tell me if this is how the factroy does it? Any other experiences?

TIA

Se7en hi,

Just had a quick gander at my CSR 200, Track rod is central in side skin hole and very close to parallel with lower wishbone and garage floor, can take a couple of pictures later today if that helps, CR500s on standard wheels, ride height at sump is around 70mm. let me know if I can measure anything else to help

Tim

CSR 200 Aztec and Black

Thanks guys. I am thinking it is not low enough because the angle of the track rods would reduce if the body was closer to the ground! See this pic here for an idea of the angle. Anybody got any similar pics of a CSR for comparison? It would actually be better to convert the front hubs to take the track rod ends from above rather than underneath....!

I don't know what kind of track rod ends you have on but it is usual that they sit above the cast steer arms at the hub end so that the track control arm angle is approximately midway between the angles of the wishbones when viewed from the front (for SIII chassis at least). See section 3 page 2.

On your photo they look like they are inserted from below rather than above.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

My Flickr Photos

Blatchatters Flickr Pool

Se7en - yours definitely look like they are on upside down. Mine are in line with the wishbones: see here.

I thought that the tie rod went into a tapered hole in the steering arms, which coould mean that the steering arms are on upside down as well?

Steve

Here is a closeup of how the track rod fixes onto the steering arm. It is from my SV, but the fixing is similar on the CSR.

Edited by - sjmmarsh on 1 Nov 2010 21:25:29

DJ - I haven't tried it, but I am pretty sure that the taper would prevent you from putting the track rod end in the wrong way round, hence including the closeup of the assembly. I am pretty sure his steering arms must be a) upside down and b) on the wrong side.

Third - I had some pictures in my archive, but it probably wouldn't have taken much longer to get the hub visible. Only 6 bolts and one castellated nut to remove.

Steve

Steve Marsh

My Caterham Page

agree with what your saying *smile* arms or rods 😶‍🌫️

I noticed the angle fo the arms a few weeks ago when the build update pictures were published and it was noted that the alignment was yet to be done, but like others I assumed you hadnt connected the arms as the tracking was yet to be done *smile*