Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing A-frame OUTER bushes?

Big Brother

Anybody offer any tips of changing the outer A-frame bushes on a live axled Seven.

I have been told that they can be burnt/hacksawed out and new ones forced in with a vice.

I'm a bit wary as I managed to break my last vice trying this on the front suspension top links.

also I am not too keen on using a blowtorch on my freshly painted a-frame ☹️

Steve

Se7en-Up!

One day, all cars will be made this way!

Just done mine too. Use a hacksaw to cut through the outer of the bush (after 1st removing the rubber centre in the vice). Then carefully use a chisel to collapse the outer sleeve inwards and it will eventually push out. Insertion was relatively straightforward. It does help if you can make up an accurate drift.

Philip. D. Owen

Membership No. 3976

Don't forget to use plenty of Copperslip, or some other anti-sieze compound when assembling the new bushes to the A frame, so the next time removal will be a breeze, be really careful if you go the blow lamp or hacksaw method, as both have the potential to weaken the metal, when I replaced the bushes on my car I used two sockets from a half inch drive set and a vice, and fortunately didn't encounter the problems you have. Glad to hear the heavier gear knob fixed the vibration problem, Cheers, Nigel.

Brent,

I went to Brooklands this weekend and am now convinced that the entire axle is moving, making the clunk. I am still unable to replicate the fault at will.

I know during the rebuild the outer a-frame bushes "looked" OK so as a result were not replaced.

The clonking started about the same time the centre bush died, so I guess that the outer bushes have failed in sympathy. ☹️

I will take a look in the garage to see if I can find the two "extra" bushes I purchased during the rebuild , if not I will give Redline a call.

Up to my neck with work at the mo, but should be free for a "factory visit" in a week or two, if thats OK. I will try to arrange it around lunchtime...... 😬

Speak to you soon

Steve

Se7en-Up!

One day, all cars will be made this way!