Click here if you are having website access problems ×

the cost of last nights shunt

Mark H

...unless you have damaged the screw sockets in the bodywork. About three months after I had built mine I was filling it up with petrol and White Van Man tried to squeeze past and completely wiped one of my rear wings off! You can imagine how I felt! Unfortunately, the incident pulled the screw sockets out of the aluminium body and Caterham charged £1,000 to repair it. Ouch! Fortunately, White Van Man was a decent bloke with proper insurance so it was paid for by his insurance company. Hope yours is just a graze.

Who’s looking at the Ferrari? Nobody! That’s who! (Admired by all 5 year-old boys and a surprising number of elderly ladies)

Thanx Mark , i take it you have bought one or two! did you need new stone guards and have you any idea how much they are?

I also need a new right side light cluster so its all going to add up to a fair old dent in the savings again ☹️

Marc , (im an 🙆🏻 for not looking where i was going *mad*)

the more i knock off lighter it gets !

just drill them out and use bigger rivnuts. cost about 3 quid + the wing itself.

use plastic bolts as well, and in the case of the bigger bolts you may need to saw them partially in half to weaken them sufficiently.

if its really bad then rivet a small piece of ali over the whole and put a rivnut in that. you can't see up there anyway because of the wing, trim and wheel all getting in the way.

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Marc

I knocked a wing off on a cone at Bruntingthorpe 2 weeks ago, hence me knowing how much they cost *smile* I was going to Llandow the next day and fortunately I managed to 'borrow' a new wing from RH Motorsport in Abingdon, as I had the car on the trailer while there he very kindly refitted the rivnuts for me as well (hammered the ali flat first!)

If you refit ali rivnuts (special tool required) then you have to be very gentle as it's easy to pull the thread out

You can avoid using rivnuts on the rearward most fittngs, I just bolted through as you can get to the otherside via the boot

Stainless steel plates are about £30 plus vat IIRC

also needed a light fitting, again about £30 from Caterham but somebody posted that you can get them for around £14 from one of the 'locost?' suppliers

Have you still got the rubber seal/ piping?? only about £3 from Caterham

Mark

Stilll got the piping , i think i,l beable to flaten the skin ok(fingers crossed) and i have fitted rivnuts before but i don,t have the tool myself, i wonder if the local hire shop might (long shot i think) perhaps now is the time for some major work new wings alround possibly a change to cycles on the front and a respray,,,,,, i,ve got the time but im not sure i have the budget for it all ☹️..The work itself is no problem *wink*

I know a few guys have done the front wing conversion and it does seem simple enough but of all the reports i,ve read no one listed there expenditure. *confused* other than the wings and mounts what else is there 🤔.

Marc.

the more i knock off lighter it gets !

Having just rebuilt my car and had it resprayed and repanneled it took about 2 months before someone wiped one of me rear wings out in a carpark (and then buggered off)

I repaired mine as follows:

take the rivnuts out, (or the ones that were left), and bond a large washer over the hole.

then drill through the aluminium honeycome and the inner panel with a 12mm drill, the wings can then be bolted back on with nylon bolts.

Finally put a suitable grommet into the inner trim panel.

No w if the wing is damaged again you can take the grommet out and fit a thin socket through the honeycome to the nut and replace the bolt.

Simple and no need to drill out the riveted trim panel to get at the bolts

Works for me..

Simon

I run the rear wings on just 3 nylon bolts.

These will hopefully snap in the event of what you describe above.

Even if some rivnuts are pulled if they are not visable behind the new wing you don't need to use them all.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here