Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec oil?

Jeff

Not sure if this is relevant, but I have used Mobil 1 15w 50 in my last 2 BMW K1100LT motorcycles, both of which covered over 80,000 miles in 3 years of ownership, and the engine on the one I still own sounds just as good now as when it was new. Also, someone in an earlier thread covering oil mentioned that you should use the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer. I have had that view confirmed by a Porsche GT engineer, and as such I'm removing the 0w 40 oil from a Cosworth engine of mine, and replacing it with the recommended 20w 50. Well, actually 15w 50 Mobil 1 'cos they don't make a 20w 50teeth.gif

If you are going to use the Motorsport grade Mobil 1 you must be careful about warming it up before you start thrashing it. The 15W rating means that is comparatively thick and useless when cold and it won't be doing its stuff. Most synthetics are only properly into their working range when they are above 90 degrees which can take a good while.

The thick Mobil 1 is not a happy combination with hydraulic tappets as they don't get properly pressurised for some time after startup, IME.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 2 Oct 2000 23:01:16