Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Cycle wings

David aka Blue7

While returning home yesterday, the front nearside cycle wing of my CSR suddenly became loose and got entangled between the front suspension and the tyre. I managed to get home by temporarily securing the wing in place with some velcro straps but the indicator wires were snapped and must have caused the indicator fuse to blow, which I have yet to investigate further.

On closer inspection this morning, the wing is surprisingly undamaged. The front securing bolt is still intact and the cause of the problem seems to be where the cycle wing attaches to the other rear underside stanchion. This rear stanchion passes through the wing and is covered in some sort of rubberised solution which is too large to allow me to remove the cycle wing from the stanchion without cutting the rubber away. I assume this rubberised solution has some adhesive properties and is the only means of attaching the underside of the wing to the stanchion?

Has anyone experienced this problem before and if so how did you effect a lasting repair? The only way I can presently see of making a repair is to use super-glue to glue the rubber to the underside fibreglass of the wing? I have emailed CC James Gibson for advice but meantime wonder if this has happened to any other CSR owners. I say CSR because I am not certain how cycle wings are attached to other 7's, it may be a method common to all 7's.

David

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else

Blue's pics

Blue's vids

the 'rubber' is Sikaflex or similar and as you say, it is used to bond the wing to the wingstay without using bolts. The bond can fail (I lost a cycle wing in similar circumstances, as have others).

IT is a pain to remove, but a sharp knife should remove enough to allow you to get the wing off. You can then re-bond or bolt to the wingstay

-----See some pictures of the build here. 19,000 miles completed!

I was unhappy to bond my front wings to the stay for exactly that reason, so when I built mine, I used a piece of rubber hose on the wing stay and put one neat caphead bolt and washer through the wing and stay. After 5 years the wing is still intact. Of course if you don't like to see a small neat bolt the only solution is to reglue it and worry about it coming adrift again. *eek*

Paul J.

Cut black gloop off, buy new black gloop (Sikaflex or Wurth Zebra sh1t to blanket gloop), Position wing, gloop back on, leave for 24 hours & you're done.

Alternatively search for "Big Head" on here and find method that allows removal of wings through attachment via cable ties. Still involves gloop though.

My wings are big head/gloop fixed and regularly exceed 130 mph without issue. I actually think that the bolt method may be more prone to breaking because of the lack of elasticity and therefore the risk of stress fractures of the wing.

Clean wing inside thoroughly and use nail varnish remover where you will apply the SikaFlex. Ensure powder coating on stays is sound. If not, wire brush and paint with black satin Smoothrite and allow to dry. Always allow Sikaflex to cure for a day or two before driving. I used SikaFlex 221 black from a horse box supply company on e.Bay ...... Very cheap.

10 yrs on from build and lots n lots of road miles in all conditions (snow wasn't that much fun), all temps (god knows what in France and Italy one year), all altitudes (med sea to high alps in one day), motorways, back road, goat tracks etc etc

And still those M6 stainless button head screws through the wing, grommet, and wing stay are hanging on in there . . . Not even a hint of failure.

😬

Bri

Thanks for all the input guys, some useful ideas which I have made a note of. CC James Gibson tells me that they currently use Terostat 9220 to stick the wing to the stay. I haven't been able to source that locally but have got another similar product called Tiger Seal so I am going to give that a go and if it isn't successful then it will be a nut and bolt job.

I applied one coat today and the process is somewhat messy due to something called gravity, it would be handy to turn the 7 upside down into an L *rolleyes*

When complete I have decided to fit a small jubilee clip to the stay next to the wing and run a cable tie from the clip through the hole on the wing where the stay passes. If it detaches in future it will at least remain in place and just rattle a bit, but at least I will be able to get home without having to stop and apply velcro bondage *wink*

David

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else

Blue's pics

Blue's vids