Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyre load ratings- Tintop

James_Russell

Evening all,

I need a new set of tyres for my mondeo diesel tow car. Current fitment are 205/50r17 93V 'Extra Load' Avon ZZ3. I thought I had decided on 'Continental sport contact 3' tyres until I noticed that the load/speed rating was '89V' and they lack the 'Extra Load' specification. The same tyre with '93W Extra Load' rating is 25% more expensive!

Being a tow car, the tyres are regularly pumped up to ~40psi and the car is sometimes fairly heavily loaded.

Does anyone know what 'Extra Load' actually denotes, and whether or not I need it?

Also does anyone with a simular car recommend a particular tyre?

Cheers,

-James

Q41 ACF Classic Grad #98

James, I would suggest that it is just marketing - highlighting the extra load rating of the tyres v other round black things of the same size.

In the past I have purchased replacement tyres for people carriers; some have had the word "Reinforced" emblazoned upon them, others have had now't.

The size and ratio, the speed rating and the the load rating is all that matters.

And the sexiness of the tread pattern.

From Auto Express:

I’ve often seen ‘XL’ stamped on tyres. What does this mean, and is there a performance advantage?

XL stands for Extra Load – or is sometimes referred to as Reinforced. Essentially, tyres bearing this stamp are designed for heavy cars rather than ones that carry big loads. Not only are they constructed to cope with weight, but also the higher tyre pressure these vehicles need to run at. This marking is usually found on lower-profile tyres used on large cars. It highlights the fact they are built to a higher weight rating, as there is nearly always a standard version in the same size in the maker’s range.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

• 2 weeks later...
The extra load tyres will have a stiffer side wall but as long as the load rating of the tyres you buy equals or exceeds what Ford states you'll be fine. Is there a sticker on the door jamb or else where that lists tyre sizes and pressures?