Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Headlamp removal

alan c

The hemi spherical part of the headlamp that acts as a mounting point has broken. This bolts into the main headlamp bowl, so some questions:-

1 Does anyone know where I can buy this small part on its own or I am going to have to buy a whole new unit. CC want about £75 for the whole bowl and as it looks as though its different to the ones on my car that means I need two.

2 Am I kidding myself that I will be able to extract the wiring back through the mounting bolt after it has been there all these years or is there a trick to doing this?

3 I see CC sell a mini loom for the front lights, not had a chance to look yet but does this connect easily ie via connectors, into the main loom somewhere in the engine bay.

Alan

• Support Team

Alan - at that price you may as well get 2 new ones from SVC. The 5.75" ones are cheaper than the 7" but even they are only £120 per pair. Make sure you tell them it's for a Caterham so you get long enough wires.

To get the wires out you have to remove the connector which is a bit fiddly. I doubt you'll have a problem pulling the wires through.

On reassembly be careful you don't bend the tab that stops the headlight from rotating - I know from experience that it is easily done!

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Shaun

Thanks, already been looking at those and will go that route if I cannot find the part I need on its own.

I have removed all the connectors but not the actual 'bullets' left on the end of the wires. Will do that in due course if I can get any movement of the wires but for now they seem fixed solid.

Dont appear to be having much luck with 'simple' jobs this year!

Alan