Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flush Fuel filler fitting

philwaters

Picked up my Flush Filler from the post office last night - Thanks Ammo *thumbup*

So, any advice on how to go about fitting them - I am converting from the old hinged type and seem to think there was something about moving the hole down whilst opening it out slightly. Is this true?

I alway get nervouse when taking a file to the body work *confused*

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

Phil

You could could try putting the filler on the end of the hose behind the body work and see where it wants to sit. It may need to be concentric. On the other hand I've seen a few fitted on cars at Curborough and some were slightly under the boot cover which didn't look too neat. You could just put it where it looks best and trim the rubber hose to suit.

Have fun

AMMO

When I did mine (about 5 years ago) Caterham sent the wrong filler cap the first time - it had 8 screws and was designed for the JPE rather than the supersprint. When I got the replacement, the hole required was smaller that the existing hole and that left the six screw holes perilously close to the edge of the main hole.

I am assuming that your description of the 'flap' style filler cap is the 60's style retro look one that used to come with xflow based cars.

So double check that Caterham sent you what was asked for, and proceed from there.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Thanks guys,

Graham, it was Ammo's old one, so not sure what one it is, but it look pretty big, so I think it should be ok. and yes, I am replacing the retro style type. Will get chance to have a look tonight - was just after any words or warning 😬

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

With mine, as the screw holes were so close to the main hole, I put loads of masking tape around and marked where I thought the holes should go by marking through the filler cap screw holes. Then double checked clearance from the main hole and ensured that the top screw was directly above the bottom one, so that the Caterham name on the cap was horizontal.

Double checked everything and then drilled the top and bottom holes before fitting the cap and drilling the remaining 4 holes.

All the while, make sure that no swraf or sparks enter the fuel pipe (I turn the pipe forward and left the old cap on....)

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!