Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Optimate 4 vs CTEK XS4003/XS7000

michaeljclark

POBC

For reasons I shan't go into (cos it will make me cross) I need a battery conditioner.

There seem to be the Optimate camp and the CTEK camp here on BlatChat. Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of?

I need the "device" to be able to cope with the exisiting Banner on the se7en (which will most likely be replaced by a PowerVamp, following yesterdays "issues") and the 85Ah beastie that is sitting in the Diesel Tin Top.

The Optimate 4 (according to it's instructions, tops out at 50Ah in maintenance mode) which I guess leaves me with the CTEK, but the CTEK site implies that the XS7000 is Lead Acid only where as the XS4003 will cope with Gel based batteries, but it doens't mention Reconditioning, sulphated battery recovery etc etc - I don't really want a device per car (the "financial" director may not be too impressed)

Anyone offer any wise words of help?

Cheers

Mike

07 Plated RoadSport SV 150 in Red with Black nose band and stripe

I have a couple of Optimate 4s that work well on various motorcycle and van batteries (some bigger than 50Ahr). They stubbornly refuse to work with the Varley Red Top on the Caterham however, which I assume is a gel battery, so may not be suitable for you application.

Full time class 4 Zetec

• Support Team

The makers of Optimate also make Accumate conditioners which are designed for larger capacity batteries. You can buy them direct from the manufacturer here.

hi Nigel - Red Top Batteries are "Absorbed acid" batteries not Gel. They are very much like a conventional battery but the acid is absorbed into glass mat within the battery casing. I am surprised you have a problem as my Optimate has worked well with my Red Top for years.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

and the 85Ah beastie that is sitting in the Diesel Tin Top

What do you want to do with that? If you mean charge it when you've left the lights on or something, then the Optimate will be useless. Its maximum output is 0.6A, you'll be there for a long time.

The CTEK 4003 can charge at 4A which is much more usable for charging, rather than simply for maintenance.

Roger

As I mentioned in my original post I've guessed that there was little point in the Optimate for the Tin Top becuase of the size of battery.

I was trying to get the thoughts from POBC before I went ahead and purchased and then found it didn't quite match expectations!

If I have to get 2 bits of kit I will 😬

Edited by - michaeljclark on 7 Oct 2010 10:24:51

I would for an Accumate for a car battery.

It has a larger charging current than the optimate. it also does gel batteries.

I now use a CTek 3600 on the 7, and the accumate is now used on the garden Tractor.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

So - for those who use OptiMate, how do you wire it in to the car???? Use a cigerette lighter socket (or similar) - or just leave a flying lead lying around.

Just that I would prefer not to have to remove the bonnet and clip onto the battery terminals as the garage is small and it is highly likely that the bonnet would get damaged one day.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Just phoned Opti/Accumate

Ordered a OptiMate 4 for the "Little Fella" and an AccuMate for the "Big Fella"

Interstingly they now have an OptiMate 6 that has all the functions of a 4 but with the [Jeremy Clarkson]POWER[/Jeremy Clarkson] of the AccuMate, about the same cost as getting the two, so I just got the two as the Jag never gets that flat.

Edited by - michaeljclark on 7 Oct 2010 12:23:00