Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting Millwood CF wing protectors

Doug

I'm going to reword this...

I have a pair of Millwood wrap around wing protectors and would appreciate advice on the best and smartest way to fit them. I don't want to glue them, since they;ll have to come off if I replace a wing.

Thanks

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Edited by - doug on 6 Oct 2010 16:31:59

I fitted mine with a number of small black oxide stainless hex-head button bolts and nuts around three edges, spaced about 5 inches apart.

I had my Millwoods clear-coated (as I did all my carbon-fiber parts), but after 7000 miles, the protectors are quite pitted and dull-looking. I would have also put two layers of clear-bra on the protectors, if I had thought of it before installing.

Does the c/f weave pattern in your Millwoods run on the diagonal? Mine does, and thus they don't blend with the CC c/f rear wings, where the pattern runs vertically. I have been in touch with Millwood about getting a set of protectors with a vertical weave pattern. We are still discussing it...

Alaskossie

Yes, bolted on is a good idea. One thing that I have seen on mine is snow/water/dirt can slip between the protector and eventually you will have to remove/clean behind it. I use plastic bolts/nuts. Two on the top - edge closest to the car and in the middle and a third on the top out edge. Finally, just one in the lowest point next to the body.

They are the best though for sure -- as compared to the CC ones which leave the outer edge of the fender exposed. How much are they at Millwoods these days?

I have used black silicone sealant on two pairs (on two cars) and have had no problems. It makes for a very neat finish and a bead along the top edge smoothed down also prevents ingress of grit.

I also think that, if necessary they could be levered off without damage - and the sealant removed from the wing - also without damage.

Andy - AR ReHaB

The Cat in front is a Toyota ....