Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing gearbox oil

Pete-B

Thinking of changing my gearbox oil ( Sigma 150 - 5 speed ). Iv'e got two bottles of Redline MTL to put back but I've got a horrible feeling there's no drain plug on these boxes ( might be wrong ) If I am right and considering how awkward the other plug is to get to, whats the best way of doing it ? *confused*

Peter

You need one of these sump pumps. I've had one for years - used it on a boat and currently use it on the lawn mower. List price is now £40.75 (ex VAT, I assume) but it will last a lifetime and it does an excellent job.

I know a tame Vetus agent if you are interested.

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

50 notes *eek* for a manual sump pump *eek* - hilka version is 4 quid at JTF O PLUS THE VAT *wink*

There is a very good electric one for 35 ish - but its just not needed unless do do a lot of sucking fluids out of odd places with no drain holes. 😬

MTL *thumbup* good choice - has transformed my 6 speeder

Further to my original posting.

A while back I ordered some Redline heavy duty shockproof diff oil from Opie Oils and by mistake they sent me 4 x 500ml bottles of Silkolene BOA 80W-90 For gearboxes and final drives. They corrected the order but didn't bother to collect the other stuff and thats a year ago now!

It's still sitting in my garage in it's original packing, the price then was £22 less a bit of club discount. If anyone want's to collect this or arrange to have it picked up the're welcome to it ( perhaps a small donation to NTL? )

Peter

One thing I did during the build (though you could do it at any time if you have access under the car) is drill a hole in the side of the tunnel to allow access to the fill plug. I used a 90 degree hardened steel scribe to line it up from the gearbox face, drilled where that made a dimple, then used a reamer to open it up in a controlled fashion until it was just large enough to take either a fill tube or the appropriate allen key.

This is partly to avoid having to cut down a hardened allen key. I then filled the hole with a suitable grommet.

Martyn

R300GRR

Find a local plumbers merchant / pipe fitting stockist and get a 1/2" BSP taper plug with a sqaure recess . . . just happens to be about 3/8" square . . .so a 3/8" ratchet fits nicely and undoing / doing up the plug becomes rather easy.

Bri

Is the Redline MTL suitable for a 5 speed? Over the winter I intend changing my gearbox oil to improve the shift quality, and try to eliminated the occasional baulked gear change. I cant get a clear steer from the archives of a suitable sythetic oil for a 5 speed, as there is mostly discussion on 6 speeders.

• 2 weeks later...