Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Last bit problem

Domus

Dremel with tiny sanding drum did the trick *thumbup*

All done now, waiting for the man from Caterham to pick her up tomorrow 😬 😬

Thanks to everyone on here for their advice, special thanks to Paul, Stuart, Dave and John from LADS for their time and loan of kit *thumbup*

Almost feel like a "proper" member now, a 7 is sat on my drive in the Autumn sunshine. I can't stop looking out of the window 😬

www.peters7.co.uk

Well done -------- So you think its all over!! When your car comes 'home' its only then that you'll find out the fine tuning and tweaks that you'll want to do to make it perfect. Me -well just drove mine a little faster this weekend ***mph or so steering wheel wobbles if I let go -yea - ok must remember not to let go BUT wheels were out of balance and good people at Jeffries Performance tyres Warrington can't balance one of them so just pondering next move - any ideas?

Tony Smith

• Area Representative

Tony

I think the steering wheel on a 7 will never be as "steady" as a much heavier normal car, but shouldn't be too bad. Why can't they balance the wheel? Have you tried someone else? How about resigning the duff tyre to the spare at least as a temporary solution.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks Paul - No spare! The balancer keeps showing 'add weights' The guy spent over 20 mins trying to get it right but had to settle for closest reading rather the"balanced" I appreciate the balance/weight of car issue. I'm going to see what happens when I take the 'rear' wheels to be balanced hoping to get two perfect ones for the front. Tony

Something that a VERY good tyre place might do is put the rim on, see how it balances, then mount the tyre with the high spot or the heaviest part of the tyre (is that the red or yellow dot?) furthest away. In theory at least it will give you the best chance of balancing the combo up correctly. The other thing that might be affecting the job is if the rim is not true. I remember seeing something online, about a home-made rig with a laser mounted to the rim/hub, to show multi plane balancing. Can't find it now, but I reckon that it was something like an amateur version of this.

This might be anecdotal, There was a place that used to pride itself on how little weight that they could add to a rim to balance the tyre, they used to spend ages when the shop was quiet getting ones that they had in for a day just right. I wish this was true and that it was local to me...

BB

Tony,

bet it's a Caterham 13" wheel?

I've got a tyre place that prides itself on less weight and takes time to get everything spot on. I've got one wheel that 'wont' balance or stay reasonably balanced after 'best attempt' *confused* 70 grams+ (that's without a tyre on the rim)

rog

C7 TNT - it's Dynamite!(Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey)

Edited by - roger heeley on 5 Oct 2010 10:23:50

Did you eventually sort the clutch Peter? Or are CC going to have a look at it on the post build check?

Bet you can't wait to get it back & BLAT! *wink*

My first drive in mine after picking it up from CC Dartford following the SVA was in the dark in torrential rain on a very busy M25 *eek* That focused the mind a bit!

Enjoy.

Martin *thumbup*

Clutch was sorted with a little help from a Mityvac pump and Paul Richards suggestion of increasing the pedal stroke. The vac pump got a large bubble of air out and we screwed the pedal stop almost all the way in.

Garage looks odd with with the A4 back in.

In the lap of the gods now, waiting for IVA and registration (after the paint rectification and PBC) Hope to get a couple of blats in before the salt season starts.

Mark, I do have a slight advantage as I have retired, but I had two weeks off for number 2 daughter's wedding and an MX-5 trip to Scotland. If you ordered from Midlands, ask Rebecca to sort out the paper work, she is very good *thumbup*

www.peters7.co.uk

Edited by - Domus on 6 Oct 2010 23:30:38

Peter - increased the pedal stroke to the max, no more joy, however there does seem to be some leakage from the hose connections (the factory fitted ones, not the banjo bolt).

I'm limited to evenings & weekends, hence the slow build, and having two weeks working in scotland didn't exactly help (although I did earn enough on overtime to afford to get Caterham to do the IVA).

Will ring midlands later this week & get things sorted - also need to sort out how I get the seven to midlands, I can borrow a trailer from a neighbour, but I'm not sure the MINI has enough weight as a tow car (750kg kg towing weight).

Mark

Roadsport 125 SV build started

Photos on flickr

Build Diary