Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Black oil and bum bandits

StewartG

Here's my entry for the Peter Carmichael Thesis of the week award which as we all know is sponsored by Alex Wrong and Grippahama Tyres.

I thought I should start off with an attention grabbing title to get your attention and I must have because you're reading it.

I've noticed that when my over-worked and over-nourished Vx engine was filled with Mobil's finest No 1 oil in the 0w40 grade it didn't take more than a few hundred miles before said oil was black as your hat and looking very second-hand. I've also noticed that now its got cheapo Halfords 10w50 mineral oil in there after say, five times as many miles it still looks fresh. Why is this and is it good or bad? On the one hand is the engine running more cleanly for some reason? Or on the other hand is the inferior oil not collecting and carrying away to a place of safety some of the products of combustion? On another hand is the thicker oil sealing the bores better? I don't know the answer but I bet I know a man who does.

Now on to the bum bandit bit, at last I hear you cry that's what we've all been waiting for. Whilst pondering recently in a moment of idleness, ie when at work, as to how I could navigate the highways and byways of rural Herts a bit faster it dawned upon me that a new approach was required. Having watched several acquaintances part with hard earned cash in exchange for more horsepower and then being able to keep up with them with no more difficulty than before, I am beginning to suspect that speed is in the head as much as in the wallet. Another observation is that me and my mate slow- payer-Nike have similar cars and perhaps similar driving abilities but on a road he knows and I don't he looses me and if I know the road better I loose him, as I say its all in the mind. So how can we get our head around going faster? More confidence that's how and how can we get that? more feedback that's how and how can we get more feedback? Seats that's how and so we come to the bum bit.

This week's research has centred on the removal or replacement of the seat swab. The aim was to lower the seating position and therefore my C of G and also to firm up contact with the nuances of vehicular motion allowing the harness to be tightened and the limit of grip to be more readily felt. Somewhat surprisingly it worked and whilst all the extra feedback was initially a bit scary I'm learning to use the info to feel where there's grip and traction and where there isn't.

Now here's the science bit. Well it's not very scientific just common sense really. Try removing the seat swab and sitting on the floor, go out for a run and see if there's more seat of your pants, literally, feel from the back tyres. I found it felt strange at first but persevere and see if you're getting more feel for what the car is doing and if this allows you to corner faster. The next step is to construct a thinner harder seat swab from a suitable hardish packaging foam and shape it to support the anatomy of your particular bum. You can wedge this into the existing seat frame and when you're strapped in it won't be going anywhere. In answer to our sponsor's assertion that sitting lower means you can't see the apex you're trying to kiss I say, you don't have to see the nearside wheel to know where it is and with a little practice you can get used to positioning the car just as well as you could before.

Have I won this week's thesis award? And if I've offended anyone I can be contacted at the usual e-mail address.

Edited by - StewartG on 2 Oct 2000 04:53:20

I can't possibly sponsor your proposed thesis award. Too much spent on rebuilding my engine! You're a long way away from Peter's detail anyway smile.gif

Funny you should mention the oil though. I found the same when I ran my car in on Halford's Mineral oil. Once I put Comma SynerG in, it ran hotter and the oil went black after 100 miles. The Halfords oil took about 300 to go black.

Don't know why though.

BTW, do you really think I'm really going to bother e-mailing you again after the grief you gave me last time........ smile.gif

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 1 Oct 2000 23:21:10

Well your post got my attention, not sure which particular word but I'll put my ten peneth in anyway. Your right about the sitting on the floor bit, its all about being at one (completly) with the car. Up until last year I was racing 250 gearbox Karts and that is seriously quick stuff. Whilst you point with the steering wheel you drive and steer the Kart with the rear wheels. The feedback as you described it is excellent in a Kart but there is after all almost nothing between you and the track. The 7 is largely a Kart for 2 people.

On the oily subject I use Mobil 1 in my crossflow and even though the stuff has done in excess of 2k it still seems relatively clean. Must be down to the excellent rebuild by a certain RK

Stewart,

I have a seat pad in my car. It's just a piece of dense foam covered in vinyl. It's about 4-5 ft long, and it looks like a seat when it's in (i.e. bent in the middle). The top and bottom are attached by poppers so I COULD put a proper seat in if I wanted to (Can't imagine that).

It is quite comfortable for journeys up to 25-30 miles (work) although extra padding can be added. (I bung a few cloths in). It is v. low and allows excellent feedback from the car. It's attached (by the poppers) securely and the seat belts hold you in, so it's road legal too. It's also a damn sight cheaper than any other seat - 65 quid.

Davebo

C7 CAR

I remember reading somewhere that, as Mike says, the oil is only doing its job by turning black and carrying the products of combustion away from the valves and pistons etc. I have noticed that the inside of the engine stays very clean with the Mobil 1 so I suppose this theory must be right.

I wonder how black it is after one race in Mika Hakkinens car!. Probably very black after the USA GP.