Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I Need a Longer Knob!

Mort

That piqued your curiosity, didn't it? 😬

I'm actually referring to the heater control. On the drive back from Kop Hill yesterday it became clear that the existing heater knob cannot be reached, either in the fully in or fully out position, whilst wearing a harness.

I quite like the idea of being able to adjust the heater at will, so I guess that I'm either looking at relocating it to the dashboard, or adapting the setup in the existing position so that I can reach it on the move.

Any suggestions?

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

I just loosen the right hand shoulder strap a little, adjust the heater, then tighten it up again.
That's what I currently do, but it doesn't strike me as being particularly safe........

Nick

When stationary, of course !

Of course. *smile* I should have continued the sentence to say "when on the move".

Not particularly satisfactory to have to stop to adjust the heater though, which is why I'm looking for a solution.

Nick

Edited by - Mort on 27 Sep 2010 14:27:20

Hmmmm. My control is to the right of my right thigh, about halfway down. If yours is in the same position, how on earth does your wife reach it? *eek*

Edit: Sorry - I've just re-read your post, and noted that yours is a CSR. *redface*

Nick

Edited by - Mort on 27 Sep 2010 15:50:47

Hello Mort

Are you the chap with the Red classic..... we met on Sunday

You did tell me what you post as but the oold mind you know

Yes, that's me. *smile* If you look back a page or two you find a post from me asking for information about your comms system. However, I'll drop you an email so that we can take it off-line.

Thanks for the link MusCat. Wouldn't work in my case, unfortunately, being a pull/ push rather than a flick up/down. It has got me thinking about making up a quick and dirty extension piece though. *thumbup*

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is interested, I have now found an elegant and fairly cheap solution, which extends the heater knob so that it can be reached whilst wearing a harness.

I found that the heater knob has an M5 thread, so I looked around on the Internet for a suitable spacer to go between the knob and the cable.

If you take a look here and go to the bottom of the first column, you'll find part number MPE5-80. This is a straight fit. It's just a case of removing the knob, fitting the spacer, and then fitting the knob to the spacer. I have now fitted this to my Seven, and it works well and doesn't interfere with driving at all.

A bulk buy of 11+ will bring the price down to a couple of quid each (plus postage) if anyone can be bothered. I've also passed this information on to Caterham, so you never know.......

They have different lengths available, and they also have them with brass threads and a nylon body here - although they are marginally shorter and don't attract the same discount.

Please note that there is a minimum order of £7-odd (so I had to buy 2), and a delivery charge - so it would be a lot cheaper to make a group purchase.

You'll obviously have to check that you have the same thread, but all sizes are available.

Nick

My heater is nicknamed the "Volcano". Very hot, unpredictable and totally uncontrollable ! Need a new valve now as will not turn off completely now after 42,000 miles (2003 Reg) which is nice in this weather , but not good on a hot day. Off is off at all revs under 2500, but leaks through as the revs rise and pressure forces the hot water past the valve. A little job for the winter together with a new foam baffle for the K series sump ! I also loosen the right hand top strap to reach the knob for a moment !

• 6 months later...

Mort,

I came across this thread as I too was pi$$ed off not being able to reach the heater control without risk of dislocating my right shoulder which meant having to have my seat further forward than I would like. I followed up on your suggestion of purchasing an M5 threaded pillar to extend the knob but the price was extortionate. Due to a minimum spend + postage + Vat it worked out over £17 !! so I looked for a cheaper solution and came across this idea. After searching eBay I purchased an M5 stud connector from this place here

which sold 5 connectors for £1.95 inc delivery, I then purchased a 100mm length of M5 stud from here for £1.79. I then removed the heater knob, screwed on the connector and 100mm extension with an M5 nut at each end to act as a lock nut lock then replaced the knob onto the extension and Bob's your Uncle.

I can now operate the heater in comfort without over stretching and it doesn't interfere with driving or getting in/out as you previously pointed out. And all for the princely sum of £3.74 and I have 4 M5 stud connectors left over (no idea what I'll do with them though).

Hope someone finds this useful.

Paul