Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Applying POR 15

virden

I'm planning on touching up all the peeling powercoating and stone chippings with the above. In previous years I have used Hammerite Smooth. Can I simply paint over this with POR 15 or do I have to rub down/apply a primer?

1700 Super Sprint, Team Lotus and clams

POR 15 chassis paint is best applied either directly to rusty steel or bare uncorroded steel If the latter, use the POR system - POR Marine clean degrease/POR metal ready/POR 15 chassis paint. Any traces of old hammerite or powdercoating makes a poor base for POR15.

Make sure if you strip the old hammerite/powder coat all traces of paint stripper are throughly removed with the marine clean as it reacts with the POR 15 system. Guess how I know *mad*

Virden,

I did my chassis over the winter - exactly the same scenario; I had used Hammerite a couple of years ago but it eventually flaked badly. This is the sequence I went through:

1. Removed the Hammerite with a wire brush attachment on a drill. This also removed any flaking rust, but not back to bare metal

2. Applied POR Metal Ready. It comes with a spray nozzle but this was hopeless; I quickly switched to brushing it on. It treats any remaining rust and makes the surface ready for the next step.

3. Applied POR 15. It has a gloss finish so for the exposed components I was treating (such as the top link on the front suspension) I then applied Hammerite Satin finish on top to give it a 'factory' look.

So far, the results have been great - I check the treated areas regularly and it looks as good as it did on day 1. The key thing is don't rush it - the prize is getting it right!

Marc

Yellow flares and a X-flow - who said the 70's are over?

POR15 also requires that it is used in dry warm conditions to give the best finish. Use NEW brushes, buy small tins.

It absorbs water, and a can left open for a couple of hours has a noticable degredation in surface finsih over a new can.

It will not key to poweder coat or hammerite very well, even if you rough up the surface. It will stick to bare metal (assuming you follow the directions to use Marine Clean and Metal Ready) like sh1t to a blanket.

If at all possible strip the powder coat off.

One point about Metal Ready is that you should leave it on for an aggregated 20 mins, but recoat every 3-4 mins. This is the best way to get the phosphate build on the bare metal.

Full Terms and Conditions of this post can be read here.