Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weight

Lauben

Having recounted the infamous "breast-weighing" joke to a mixed group of male and female friends, one of the birds said: "No, hold on. How would you actually go about weighing a breast 🤔"

I managed to reply without hesitation that Archimedes principle would be appropriate. We tested the theory on at least two occasions and came up with some plausible results. The inaccuracy of the method depends on whether neutral bouyancy of the breast is achieved, which is largely subjective, but quite frankly I was just staring at their tits. *eek* *eek*

The knock on benefits of such an experiment far outweigh the partial genius of the Greek fella.

You must surely have to account for the OG of the beer chosen though, and I would think that the choice of vessel might prove tricky if only from a "political correctness" point of view.

Seems like my question generated the usual amount of whatnot and other bits 😬 😬

So I'll try again, what would the weight savings be on the carbon pack compared to the standard glassfiber parts

The Slippery Road and Welcoming Ditches Society of 1993

Just been thinking (dangerous *wink*) and have the following question:

At the start of this thread, Dave mentions that the SLR weighs 470kg, as opposed to 540 on the Roadsport. Now, I thought the SLR weighed 490kgs from memory? (brochure I think) (The SL was quoted at 485 from memory, because of the tyres/ wheels at the back, presumably?)

The R500 quotes at 460 - an has magnesium sump (can't be much) and bellhousing (ditto) and (as standard, kevlar seats (ditto) and ti exhaust (4kg?) but these can't add up to 30 kilo's surely? SO, Dave, have you weighed an SLR/R and know something we don't?

the caterham quoted weights are a bit out, but i was assuming they were bobbins by the same amount. The brochure I have (1998) says a normal car is 540 and a superlight is 470.

comparing my lightened supersport car to a normal supersport of 1998 vintage

However, on my supersport model I removed the screen, changed to tillet seats (heavy runners though *wink*), removed the spare, went to half height doors, mag wheels and still weighed 533 kg with half a tank of fuel and an apollo and FIA bar.

assuming the 540 caterham figure is right I should have weighed about:

screen -4kg

seats - 3kg ea

wheels -2kg each (compared to 14" minilites)

spare -12kg

doors -2 kg each

carpets -3kg

carbon front wings - 0.5 kg ea

apollo +4kg

FIA +6kg

rad + 3 kg (the old black thick covrad one)

total calcualated saving -27g

actual saving - 7kg

so Caterham must have weighed it with 20 kg of stuff missing. the fuel will account for 15 kg I guess. perhaps they took the oil out as well 🤔

comparing my lightened supersport car to a 2002 R500

R500 is a bit lighter because of the mag sump (1kg), the wishbones may be a bit less, and the rollbar is 2kg instead of a lardy 8kg for an FIA bar.

looking at the weights on my car (from when it was weighed above). to get it to R500 spec:

kevlar seats - 3kg ea

mag sump - 1kg

ACB10s - 1.5 kg ea

carbon nose and rear wings - 4 kg

wishbones - 1kg (guess 🤔

wiper motor and bracket - 3 kg

ali rad - 3 kg (i had the old big black rad)

exhaust - 4kg (is it that much - wow

rollbar -6 kg

flywheel - 5 kg

33 kg saving.

48 kg if empty of fuel.

so i reckon an R500 actually weighs about 485 kg with no fuel.

so again - they are being a bit optimistic. although doing it by 25 kg in this case.

have i missed something 🤔

HOOPY CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Rob, just seen your quote

"My Vx weighs 612.5kg complete with all the bits but still goes ok!"

I would say that is the worst falsehood to appear on blat chat this year. If you insist on these stories I would suggest that the moderator needs to censor your postings.

However you could always redeem youself by driving your car for at least 2 laps of Cadwell on the 20th, in fact if you do I'm sure we could raise a small donation for NTL. *thumbup*

TRY 5S

Buzzin' Bee *cool* *cool* *cool*