Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

QR steering

AlC

Hi all

I'm in the middle of building my 7, and was thinking of buying myself an upgrade to QR steering. I only plan on road use, but the QR will facilitate entry/egress following recent surgery.

I already have a Momo wheel (Caterham part 77246A). I've come up with two options:

- Caterham QR boss & column (part 75030A) @ £170.38 + p&p

- RapFix from 7Tips @ £195 +p&p

While the RapFix solution is some £25 more expensive, there seem to be a number of people favouring it.

My questions (sorry there are so many - I'm new to all this):

- Am I right thinking both options would be directly compatible with the standard Caterham lower column, and my Momo wheel?

- Is there actually anything "wrong" with the Caterham solution?

- I'm presuming there will be no IVA issues with either?

- Are there any downsides to a QR wheel? The only one I could think of is the small risk of it getting nicked if left on the car (answer, QR it each time!), but I figure this is quite low as most tealeaves wouldn't realise it was QR. I also see there have been one or two people having issues refitting.

- Are there any other options I should consider?

- I presume it is much easier to fit as part of the build than, say, 6 months on?

- Might be a bit cheeky, but does anyone think Caterham or 7Tips would "buy back" my existing, unused, unfitted upper column to help offset the cost? Worth asking at £44 new cost?

Thanks all.

Al

The Rapfix system is far better than the caterham in my view (search for threads of seveners whose caterham systems become sloppy or stick). Seventips can supply it with an upper column which is compatible with the lower column.

Both systems use the momo 3 point system mount so are compatible.

I usually remove the wheel when leaving the car unattended for a long period, eg at work, and I suspect its the best method of preventing a seven disappearing *eek* *eek*.

I wouldn't hesitate to fit the Rapfix. As to the spare bits why not post them on blatchat to sell them?

Have standard CC QR MoMo after nearly 4 years still no slop, pops on and off easily, suspect the wear/damage tends to occur when trying to locate wheel on splines, once you learn to always leave steering central and that the top screw in steering wheel lines up with keyway it pops on with no hunting. no experience of RapFix wheels although I am sure if 7Tips flog it its very good indeed

Have had my RapFix QR for 4 months, so cannot comment on the longevity of it, but having used the standard CC version and the Rapfix, I find the Rapfix alot easier to live with!

Few other answers to your questions:

It is compatible with the standard lower column

I had no IVA issue - was fitted when presented

Easier to fit as part of the build as the top column fits tightly into the bosses in the frame so a little difficult to get out, but not impossible!

CC took back - and refunded me - the bits I did not use - but I was upgrading my wheels at the time so they were getting more of my money!

Things to be aware of:

The Rapfix boss (which is welded to the top of the column) rusts so I have had to treat this

The top section of the steering column I was supplied (welded to the boss!) was untreated mild steel tube (the standard CC version is galvanised - not sure about the QR version) not ideal! I pointed this out to 7tips when I bought it, not sure if they have done anything about it?

Good luck

atlast

Edited by - Garth on 16 Sep 2010 23:48:38

*arrowup* - for 'galvanised', read zinc-plated (electroplating) ?

When I bought my Rapfix, with the top column attached, the bore of the column tube was too small for the lower column, so I had to get some machining done locally. E.mailed 7tips to advise this (to save anyone else suffering), but got no response.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 17 Sep 2010 07:12:20

Mr M25 - sorry if you have not had a response I did send a quick reply from my phone but clearly it didn't get to you.

I have passed on your comments to Play s Kool who have checked and ensured the remainder of this batch of top columns are OK. My own (the first) was the same but others seem to have been OK.

I did reply also to Garth re the galv treatment and we are looking into this but as usual there are costs involved. Due to the small numbers being sold it looks pretty uneconomical to get them treated at the moment but we are looking at pre galv tube also. Trouble is this adds to the diameter of the tube.

So we are listening - feed back is always welcomed.

A Blast from the Past

www.7tips.co.uk - for all 7 related parts and upgrades.

Thanks all for the helpful and informative responses.

I am leaning towards the Rapfix solution, and I must say Simon has been extremely quick and helpful in responding to my queries.

My main concern with Rapfix was the mention of rusting of the boss at top of steering column, and that the column is not protected in any way. Simon has pointed out that little of the column (1/2" or so) is actually exposed, and that it is possible to protect that and the boss with a periodic application of a silicone or WD40 spray.

Thanks again all

Al

I have had two new Caterham Lifeline QR bosses and both became loose within 1500 miles so I guess the quality has dropped off if people have 10 yr old ones with no play. I'm going for the Rapfix one this time.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 20 Sep 2010 23:46:48

You rattly quick release people are putting it on the full distance? - two clicks?

I've not done anything special with mine - bought from CC, removed every night, removed most times when in work car park, never lubricated, never cleaned . . .

Bri

Bri,

The play they're talking about is rotational, not the push/pull play you get if you don't put it all the way onto the splines and the locking balls fallinto the wrong slot.

It's bizarre that your's hasn't got any rotational play after years of use. Any simple spline system should waer slowly due to vibrations from the road over time, unless both splines are super-hard. Maybe they used to harden the steel better.

Martyn

R300GRR

Maybe I simply have higher tolerances *cool* But there is only very slight slack rotationally - ie sufficient to allow the two parts to slide together.

I asked about it being far enough on, as I could see wear taking place if they weren't together properly.

Bri