Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T clutch/suspension problem Pug 306

charlie_pank

When moving off from a standstill or near standstill I often hear/feel a gentle clunk. It's as though there's something in the boot rolling and hitting the back inside wall, except it sounds/feels as though it's coming from the front left. I thought for a while that the battery might be loose and sliding backwards when I accelerate, but it's not.

Possible causes:

1) I recently replaced the engine and wonder whether one of the engine mounts is loose, although I really don't think so.

2) There's something loose in the front N/S suspension - perhaps a bush has totally perished?

It feels like there's something 'loose' in the drivetrain and the slack has to be taken up, but I've no idea what could be loose - the CV joint isn't making the usual sounds of impending death when cornering and the half-shafts into the diff are splined, not bolted, and the symptoms only happen when moving away from stationary or near stationary, when driving unsympathetically, I haven't been able to reproduce the symptoms when moving at any speed even if I trundle with the clutch dipped for a while and then let it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions either for further tests I can do to narrow it down or possible causes I haven't thought of?

back here because I want to be.

Bolt check the suspension. I have had this on my Peugeot (that I work on and have had the engine out more on multiple occasions).

Also check the front hubs.

With mine, I could get it to do the reverse clunk from heavy braking.

Also check the offset bolts that hold the middle bearing into the casting on the long RHS driveshaft.

Check all susp bolts.