Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New aero/windscreen kit

David Ward

I emailed Caterham for a price a few weeks back. This was the response!!!!!

Thank you for your e-mail.

Hi,

I'm interested in the new bolt-on aeroscreen which attaches to the

existing windscreen mounts.

Is it available yet? Not yet ! Scheduled for the end of August

How much is it? Approx £225 plus Vat (composite) and £350 plus Vat in Carbon

What is it made of (carbon fibre)?

Are any pictures available? Not yet ! When we get them I will post a picture on our web site.

Regards

Darren Phillips

Parts Sales Manager

Caterham told me the same thing, although I believe that they are in the first batch of R300/400 kits so maybe someone out there can do a photo, other than that I was told Caterham Midlands had one although it wasn't on sale yet - maybe they can help.

I just got horified by the cost, especially when you add in the mirrors, and am making my own.

Hi Guys,

If you look on my site www.R500.com (link below)- you'll see my car has the new interchangeable aeroscreen (lots of the pics blow up for a closer look - although there are no aeroscreen specific pics - I can do some if you need them - let me know)

Of course, I have the aero as standard - and have on (long term) order - the windscreen as the extra (not sure of price but it depends on whether I want washer/wipers roof etc).

You'll notice that the car has holes drilled for said bits and the buttons for washers/wipers heater allready plumbed in.

Although I havent taken it off yet - it looks like a simple process - 2 retaining bolts on the side and 'poppers' below the rear view.

My only complaint is that these 'poppers' seem to undo at 130 mph plus (not that there is much to see behind at that speed).

Anyway, as I say - if you want more detailed pics let me know and I'll post digi pics

Steve

R500.COM

Edited by - GetCarter on 4 Sep 2002 16:15:30

Great looking car Steve

I am on a list at Caterham, dates back to June when they said they would contact when available!

... still awaiting ...

with a standard Superlight I just dream of such straight line speeds struggles above 110mph?

i guess i'll have to wait a little longer!

the not so light Superlight

Here is a close up of the mirror section (taken in a rather dark garage I'm afraid)

close-up

It shows the two 'poppers' (outer) and two of the three retaining bolts that hold the mirror to the aeroscreen base (not to the scuttle - if you remove the aero - the mirror would go too).

The cable and gaffa visible is from my bullet cam - so ignore!

Julian. I think I should get some propper poppers. Just better not drink any ale before I order. *wink*

Steve

R500.COM

Edited by - GetCarter on 5 Sep 2002 18:56:46

steve

great site, computer illiterates scratch heads!

i have the caterham midlands aeroscreen conversion, not as quick by the look of things, but much cheaper (even with fitting) & attaches with 5 top-loading allen bolts. i have the spa mirror (cut down and angled) attached to the scuttle, which works well: plenty to watch for at spa even over 140

jerry