Click here if you are having website access problems ×

how to make a sealed system for cooling?

Phil

I have a 1990 car with a cooling catch tank in the engine bay near the passenger front wheel, I notice that some 7s have a header tank under the nose at the front with a sealed system.

Is it possible to change my set up to this system?

My car is an old crossflow converted to Zetec.

FreeRange7

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2404840560089816983khvSRw

Hi Phil, its not hard I fitted a sealed system to my Zetec, all you need is some parts I put a pipe with a Small dia pipe 3/8, as the bottom hose across the front which came from caterham part number(73155 cooling submarine Rover Dri sump) then mounted the header tank in its normal place under the nose cone and put a 3/8 pipe down to the bottom hose, with a T peace in it for the heater (if need one I did,) then I Changed the pressure cap for a blanking cap and ran a pipe 1/4 dia (I think) to the small pipe on the header tank If you would like some pictures send me you mob number and I will send them to you Regards Paul 07970 663442

North Wales Sports Cars caring for Caterhams in North Wales.

Dodge Viper blue Zetec Caterham

Edited by - Paul Formston on 14 Sep 2010 09:31:13

If I remember correctly, the basics of the system are simply introduce a water reservoir in between the engine and the pressure cap.

Change the radiator cap for a blank that allows free flow of water out of the thermostat housing overflow pipe.

Put a small diameter pipe between the over flow and the new header tank.

Put the radiator cap on the header tank

The expanding water/air should then pass freely out of the thermostat housing via the over flow down the small pipe and into the bottom of the header tank, pressurising the air above it until/if the pressure of the radiator cap is exceeded.

FWIW I have the header tank fitted above the gearbox or on the heater (if it is in the car)

Nick

• 7 years later...