Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series mis-fire

Andrew Dent

I have picked up a mis fire on my SLR. So far I have changed the distributor cap, the plugs and leads will be changed out soon. Does anyone have any experience of mis fires on VHPD engines, and any ideas on where to start/look/check. The only pressure I have is to get it cured for Cadwell on Friday. So there is no pressure on what so ever!

The symptoms are a rough tick over, and the inability to rev freely. There is no pull in the engine, and getting to 30mph is a major achievement.

Thanks

Andrew

If you have tried all the usual bits & pieces then maybe the ECU has failed 'safe'. Mine did this & it put the car into a 'get-you-home-mode. Good enough to get back home but all the wrong settings for 'normal' running. I lost 16 mpg & the car was really awful. Exchange ECU; all lovely again!!!

If it is a MEMS rather than an MBE, check the vacuum hose connections. If there are leaks it will be trying to run at wide open throttle settings even when at part throttle. The MEMS is mapped against inlet tract pressure rather than throttle pot position. The throttle pot only gives it info about transients for acceleration fuelling.