Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calling Experts & Novices

glasgow

Prior to buying my 1st Caterham last month, I went to East Lothian to meet Jason and inspect his "Tomato" who now has a new home in Germany. I also got some very good tips and hints from my visit… I list them below as they may be of help to other newbies…… I would appreciate other tips and thoughts from you expert guys to people who are only used to driving tin tops……

- Pushing the car in and out of the garage

- Not having the hand brake on when car is in garage (just put some sort of support in front and behind one of the wheels)

- Not to go above 3000rpm until the OIL temperature is high

- Rev the engine before down changing the gear for smoother changes - although I still to master heal&toe technique… :-)

- Hotter tyres give better grip

- When clipping the hood to start from the front windscreen side

Regards

Don't need to chock wheels in the garage, just leave it in gear, unless floor slopes steeply !!

You may be surprised how long it takes the oil to get to 60C ...... some ten minutes after the water temperature reaches this figure. So, if you don't have an oil temperature display, don't be fooled by the water reaching temperature.

How about Rule No. 1 for getting in and out of the car ... don't touch the windscreen !!!!!!

Disconnect the battery or use a conditioner if the car is not likely to be used for more than a week or two in the Winter.

Get a baseball cap as there is no sun visor.

Consider buying a Soft Bits for Seven hood & draught excluder.

Remember that the car in front will have to brake when you wouldn't have to.

Look in the mirror when exiting sharp bends as the car that was up your backside will look very wobbly and possibly in a ditch.

Drive the thing whenever you can even if it's just to buy a newspaper.

Buy a woolly hat, unless you’re a hedgehog and hibernate in the winter

Get ear plugs

Learn that you will develop an allergic reaction to speed bumps

The car in front is slow, the car behind is trying its best.

Get a Half Hood.

Buy a can of tyre goo, if you don’t carry a spare. Oh and a breakdown card.

Fit a high level brake light

Travel on a journey back in time when you realise the brake switch technology fitted to your car.

Give it a name.

Invest in a good set of spanners

Keep an eye on the road in front for debris.

Buy some nice sunglasses, wrap around type. May save your eyes from stones!

Learn that traffic jams now become less frustrating, sit back and enjoy looking at the other caged in passengers.

You will appreciate how short the summer is; and how long the winter drags

Above all else, use the Seven, that’s why you bought it.

Rob

• Area Representative

LADS top tip:-

When you pull up to traffic lights with the hood on, don't pull right up to the line - hang back so that you can see the lights.

(I forgot this today).

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

I may add another one here (hope it is not just my bad driving skills)......

When pulling away in 1st gear on bumpy roads, be careful your right foot could easily press hard on the accelerator (I put this down to the uneven surface - but may be my right foot is not digital enough...) The car could easily "kangaroo" which is not good in the first gear as the engine will be too powerful for the car

Nick, some of the newer models have a flap in the fuel filler neck which causes problems with filling, the funnel helps get around the problem.

Better still is to remove the problem, came accross another BC post with links to this series of photo's here

It's not a problem i've got personnal on my old lady :-)

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. .CaterBram on Facebook

Regularly check that your brake lights are functioning.

It's very common for the switch to stop working and require a quick disassembly and internal clean. I also carry a spare one with me in case I notice this problem on a blat.

Search techtalk for more info on this subject....

From my reading, the clutch and throttle cables could easily got snapped. I think it may be a wise idea to have spare ones in the boot.... But not sure if this would be only required if travelling in Europe?! Put it another way, would RAC/AA recovery have such cabels with them?

You may be surprised how long it takes the oil to get to 60C

Yes i couldn't agree more with this one. Opened my eyes up when i installed an oil temp gauge in my Subaru some years ago. In the cooler months it must have taken a good 15 minutes or so before the oil was fully upto operating temperature.

Rule 1A: Insert ignition key before doing up harness !!!

Never mind about that. Just remove the bloody key from your pocket before you harness up 🙆🏻

Gordon.......joint Surrey AR

Welcome to Blatchat, Ahmed *wavey*

To clarify your first point:

- Pushing the car in and out of the garage

...this was only because my garage is so narrow for getting in/out a Caterham. I guess it also is what most owners do anyway, after getting out to open the door. Why get in and drive when you can just push? *wink*

Glad to see you're enjoying your new car *cool*

My Flickr Gallery here