Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lost ignition key

Red Line Components

I lost my key some years ago and Caterham stated the only thing to do is replace the ign barrel. And that this is only credible if the security bolts that hold it on have not been sheared off (i.e. if the heads remain you can undo the whole barel with a socket set and if they're gone you're knackered)

That was some 10 years ago however and if they're more sophisticated with a numbered system (and you of course wrote down the number) then you can order up a spare - this worked with my VW.

I can't remember who makes the ign barrel but you can probably get a local garage to replace it for you (subject to proviso on shear bolts) for small beer.

To get you home the assistance of said local garage or the local hoodlum would enable you to hot wire the car. A caterham must be stunningly simple to hotwire once you know how. (in your case of course you'd need to get the immobiliser fob shipped in..)

Even if the shear bolts are sheared, it is no problem to remove them. They shear at some very low torque, so you cut a slot in the head with a hacksaw and then use a screwdriver. Been there, done that, etc...

At least we do not need to worry about changing the door locks to match *smile*

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 4 Sep 2002 14:54:48